Was talked out of Magnapack Turndown by the shop I was paying to do it!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got back from my appointment with the custom exhaust shop this morning. I had the Magnapack from Summit and was all set to get this done after reading how awesome it is on here. After talking to him he said it would be obnoxiously loud and my passengers in my truck would hate me.:sunot:

Whats the deal? Now I'm not sure what to do about the exhaust.

debordj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it in ur self with a buddy. If u don't like it put stock back in.

Best to have another person to help get stock off.

If u like it then just find a plage with an air wrench and hit the front bolts to catalytic converter real good and be done with it.

OP
OP
ManleyORV

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it in ur self with a buddy. If u don't like it put stock back in.

Best to have another person to help get stock off.

If u like it then just find a plage with an air wrench and hit the front bolts to catalytic converter real good and be done with it.

Don't have a problem doing that, but I wanted it fully welded, etc. and although I have a welder, that type of work is much easier to do on a lift (which I don't have). Especially for the $100 he was gonna charge me.

Also he said he would do it if I wanted; he wasn't refusing. It's just he talked me out of it. I wanted to see what the guys that have it already think or if maybe I should go with a different muffler than the Magnapack?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a muffler shop talk me out of installing a certain muffler as well. Magnapack supposedly has an annoying drone at certain RPM's, although I have no experience with them, so I can not confirm. I called Borla on about 3 different occasions and they talked my out of the muffler I was going to go with because they said the drone would be too unbearable.
A buddy of mine has the Super 10 Flowmaster with resonator removed, It sounds awesome like a monster truck but with no annoying drone, at least none that I have ever noticed. I plan on removing my Magnaflow and replacing it with the Flowmaster.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is not that loud lol if you leave the resonator on. I love mine and --NO DRONE! Drive long distances as well.

Sounds GREAT!!

Mine is not a "turn down" it is a "lightning style" so I would imagine it would be bouncing the sound back up from the pavement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ManleyORV

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is very loud. None of us will tell you otherwise. However it's a very good sound IMO

Ford Raptor 6.2L Magnaflow Magnapack Loud - YouTube

Hmm, does sound good. Can you use your handsfree in the truck around town and on the highway? You get annoyed on longer trips at 70-75?

Thanks,
Josh

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

It is not that loud lol if you leave the resonator on. I love mine and --NO DRONE! Drive long distances as well.

Sounds GREAT!!

Mine is not a "turn down" it is a "lightning style" so I would imagine it would be bouncing the sound back up from the pavement.

We talked about that too, exiting it in front of the tire. But I kinda wanted to hide it and he cannot do mandrel bends so that turned me off from that.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy and install them. I noticed the closer to the collector you put them the louder and more resonance you get. Mine is about in stock muffler location, and I get a little drone at 60-65. But I hardly ever drive that speed. Unless I get on it, its hardly noticeable in the truck.

I installed one right near the collector, and its loud inside the truck.

OP
OP
ManleyORV

ManleyORV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy and install them. I noticed the closer to the collector you put them the louder and more resonance you get. Mine is about in stock muffler location, and I get a little drone at 60-65. But I hardly ever drive that speed. Unless I get on it, its hardly noticeable in the truck.

I installed one right near the collector, and its loud inside the truck.

Interesting, good advice. Have you had any experience with Magnaflow's larger mufflers? Like a 5", 6", or 7". Curious why everyone goes with the Magnapack size.

BTW, I was born in Excelsior Springs and my whole family is still down there; my dad lives in Liberty. Next time I visit I'll swing by your shop and check out what you have going on.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have a tiny little Magnaflow I also got from Summit and I like it... But I like aggressive exhaust... Hell I ran my truck with NO muffler for almost a year. I do like the Magnaflow though... Fully agree with WSI that the only drone I notice is at about 60-65 mph.

That being said I'm swapping out my Magnaflow and going to a full Stainless Works setup (long tube headers with high flow cats to an X pipe and SW lightning style exhaust with an S tube muffler). The parts should arrive soon.