Horn Upgrade to PIAA 85115

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navy2x

Reaction score
I recently completed a horn upgrade from stock to the PIAA 85115 Superior 112 db 330Hz and 400Hz Twin Tone Bass Horn.

I didn’t see any guides on this so I thought I’d share my experience. First thing, you have to get the grill off. I have a 2022 Gen 3, so lots of videos I found didn’t apply, they were all either a non raptor F150 or an older raptor. I found many that got me in the right direction however. One guide that was very helpful was the Baja Designs behind the grill light kit. The beginning part of that guide walks you thru how to take off the grill. My biggest suggestion would be to do step 4 after step 7. That is, remove the below grill fascia before removing the lower grill screws. Step 4 says it’s a blind screw, but you can actually see it very well once you remove the fascia (see the first uploaded photo).

Once the grill is removed I thought the horns were going to be a 1 to 1 replacement. But the wiring contacts are very different. The PIAA instructions give a few different wiring options but nothing exactly like the raptor. It does however mention the top contact on each horn is positive. The connector from the raptor has two wires, a yellow and a black. The yellow is positive and black is negative. I used connector terminals and combined the two positives and two negatives into one wire set, then made my own automotive plug with a crimper tool and plug kit. On the raptor side I cut off the existing plug and made the other matching automotive plug. I wrapped it all in electrical tape. Before mounting I tested to make sure the horn worked.

I chose to reuse the metal Y shaped bracket for mounting. I used some short screws and washers to secure them. I put blue loctite on the threads so it wouldn’t come loose.

Overall it took me about 2-3 hours. Here is a video of how the different horns sound before and after in case anyone is interested. I like them a lot. They have a slightly deeper sound and are a bit louder.

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4363.jpeg
    IMG_4363.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 42

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Glad we could help out. The Raptor is looking good just missing the lights ;)

Brahian Herrera | Forum Sales & Support
Email: [email protected] | Phone: (760) 560-2252 Ext 201

Best,

Billet707

Reaction score
I thought i was the only one that thinks trucks need a bit deeper horn. Now how loud is it when you hop out and it does the two honks right in your ear. Cause factory one loud enough there

OP
OP
navy2x

navy2x

Reaction score
I turned that off in forscan as quick as I could when I first got the truck. Hasn't been a problem since.