Was It Worth It? Gen 2 (2017-2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 90k miles plus but I’m at a hard 69k. Talk about gigity

I bought it with around 24k miles. Got my phasers done at 30k miles. Rebuild done around the same time. Been tuned since then. Zero hick ups. Super reliable. Great on gas all things considered. Do you fluid changes and maintenance and she’s proven to run past the 200k mark flawlessly.

Only non maintenance item for me was sway bar end links. An honest 15 minute job for both sides. Tool and socket search included.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Don't buy into the 50k mile shock rebuild. I put 103k on my 2018, original shocks were fine, as good a ride as the new 2022.

Of course it didn't see much off road, but it's just silly to rebuild shocks based on mileage, unless you're made of money.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy into the 50k mile shock rebuild. I put 103k on my 2018, original shocks were fine, as good a ride as the new 2022.

Of course it didn't see much off road, but it's just silly to rebuild shocks based on mileage, unless you're made of money.
Mine are still good at 60k. Not too much articulation in the bucks drive thru.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The VCT/phaser issue has been resolved for almost 4 years now. If the previous owner had the recall completed at low mileage it’s unlikely to experience the issue. That being said, the biggest concern with any used vehicle is maintenance and use history. That is especially true on high performance vehicles like a Raptor. In that case the “known” or “common” issues are the least of your worries.

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The problem is my trucks at 95,000 miles and there’s no mention of shocks being rebuilt on the history but I have no frame of reference for whether the way they are now is factory or whether they’re looser than factory

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The problem is my trucks at 95,000 miles and there’s no mention of shocks being rebuilt on the history but I have no frame of reference for whether the way they are now is factory or whether they’re looser than factory
If you're rich, just get them rebuilt. Otherwise take it to a shop if you can't figure it out.

It was just my experience that mine were flawless after 100k miles. No leaks, no bouncing, still riding on a cloud of ti-tties.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah im in this boat, at 80k my ‘18 finally felt like it was having extra rebounds and prob needed a rebuild then.
My ‘20 is at 55k and feels exactly the same, but also hard to tell on these live valves cause they adjust.
Both had some decent offroad time

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're rich, just get them rebuilt. Otherwise take it to a shop if you can't figure it out.

It was just my experience that mine were flawless after 100k miles. No leaks, no bouncing, still riding on a cloud of ti-tties.

I'm at 91k and am waiting for an opening at local offroad shop to rebuild.
No leaks and it still rides great for a truck.
There's no question, however, that it doesn't haul ass over rough surfaces like it did earlier in its life.
I want peak raptor back before I unleash the goose on this truck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter