Was It Worth It? Gen 2 (2017-2019)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Man

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Happy Friday,

This is specifically geared towards those of you who have 80k+ mile Gen 2 Raptors, years 2017-2019. Currently, I am in the market to purchase one. I have been surfing lots, lots, and lots of threads, reading up on all possible mechanical issues to keep an eye out for. Previously, I had a 2017 F-150 5.0 V8. I did little to no research on it, it had what I needed, and I liked it, so I made the move on it and drove it from 60k miles to near 95-100k. No issues. It was a great experience, I drove it and used it like it should be! I love the interior and exterior of these years. I drove an 18' Raptor the other day, and it was smooth as butter.

Anyways, let's get down to it; knowing the cam phaser issues for these years, in comparison to the amount of enjoyment you get out of it, was it worth having the possibility in the back of your mind that your Raptor could end up in the shop time and time again? There are nightmare scenarios with these cam phaser replacements I see everywhere. Though my conclusion is, it seems like it's just the luck of the draw. I get that things happen with all vehicles, there's always a possibility of hurtles like this. Do you just make the move to purchase one, drive, and enjoy it without thinking twice?

My primary question at hand I am asking you Gen 2 owners, is was it worth it?

Thanks for your time and input. Hoping to join the Raptor community soon.

shank_guru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yes. My first Raptor was a 2019 after a 2014 Platinum. I ran the Raptor to almost 89k. Had double or more miles ahead of it. So fun to drive on and off road. I made the 2023 jump in August. More fun.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in your exact place just a month ago. I found a 2018 with 63k miles. I was able to get a OASIS report done from a member here. (An OASIS REPORT is the whole service history the vehicle has had from any Ford dealership). My truck had the cam phasers done in late 2019… that was good enough for me. So I bought the truck sight-unseen from 300mi away.

I couldn’t be happier! First order of business was changed oil, changed plugs, and bought a Cobb tuner with transmission tune. (Stock 17-18’s shift like trash). She runs amazing.

Only thing I didn’t anticipate was the OEM Fox shocks. They need rebuilt after 50,000 miles. That is $750 (about double that for an exchange set). The truck is still very usable without it. But, I can tell they are a bit jiggly over the bumpy stuff.

Good luck in your search! I traded a Jeep GC hemi and couldn’t be happier with it.

OP
OP
B

B-Man

Reaction score
I was in your exact place just a month ago. I found a 2018 with 63k miles. I was able to get a OASIS report done from a member here. (An OASIS REPORT is the whole service history the vehicle has had from any Ford dealership). My truck had the cam phasers done in late 2019… that was good enough for me. So I bought the truck sight-unseen from 300mi away.

I couldn’t be happier! First order of business was changed oil, changed plugs, and bought a Cobb tuner with transmission tune. (Stock 17-18’s shift like trash). She runs amazing.

Only thing I didn’t anticipate was the OEM Fox shocks. They need rebuilt after 50,000 miles. That is $750 (about double that for an exchange set). The truck is still very usable without it. But, I can tell they are a bit jiggly over the bumpy stuff.

Good luck in your search! I traded a Jeep GC hemi and couldn’t be happier with it.

Thank you for your input, this is very helpful. I have heard very little about the OASIS report, I need to do some research on that. The 18' Raptor I test drove recently, did shift a little hard, and it's great to hear that the Cobb tuner could help. Absolutely dig the wheels you have that were on the new member post. Nice ride!

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bought a 2019,35 000 miles now ,best the truck ever had, from a 2003 lightning and a 2017 tremor.
have to change tires soon,other way not a problem,just maintenance.
2019-20 has a better suspension.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a ‘19 new. Has 61k on it now. Went from a ‘93 Lightning to a ‘13 Screw 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4 to the ‘19 Raptor. No real problems so far, Cam Phasers are still quiet. Did have Ford do their Updated ECU Strategy and later had some misfire problems. Back original strategy and no issues since. Love the truck and it’s actually much faster than the ‘93 Lightning. Couldn’t be happier!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter