I might of messed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick at FMS

aka:Rick @ FreedomMotorsports
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We sell Fox shocks and have FRS Live ones on the shop raptor. You would be surprised how many brand-new shocks have the set screw behind the hoses that you cannot get to once installed. It was the same issue with the GEN1 3.0 shocks and even seen them all the way in the back. I always tell customers to adjust the pre-load ring to get the set screw where you can get to it BEFORE installing. Don't think the shop was saying anything out of ordinary. I adjust them when on the truck, but the coil needs to be compressed due to how the collar ring is constructed otherwise you might really mess up the threads. I put the front on jack stands then jack the LCA up as much as possible to compress the coil then put on the spring compressors and tighten good that is just starts to compress. Then lower the jack on the LCA and that keeps it compressed enough without having to compress them more to turn the collar. Then jack back up and remove the spring compressors.

OP
OP
Sig Fanboy

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of late, but mine were adjusted while still on the truck. I watched the guy do it. He used my King T-Handle and a hole punch.
If I ended up doing it myself, I figured a punch was going to be the only option. Did he raise the vehicle so that the wheels were off the ground while adjusting them?

OP
OP
Sig Fanboy

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sell Fox shocks and have FRS Live ones on the shop raptor. You would be surprised how many brand-new shocks have the set screw behind the hoses that you cannot get to once installed. It was the same issue with the GEN1 3.0 shocks and even seen them all the way in the back. I always tell customers to adjust the pre-load ring to get the set screw where you can get to it BEFORE installing. Don't think the shop was saying anything out of ordinary. I adjust them when on the truck, but the coil needs to be compressed due to how the collar ring is constructed otherwise you might really mess up the threads. I put the front on jack stands then jack the LCA up as much as possible to compress the coil then put on the spring compressors and tighten good that is just starts to compress. Then lower the jack on the LCA and that keeps it compressed enough without having to compress them more to turn the collar. Then jack back up and remove the spring compressors.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was mainly commenting on how surprised he seemed after telling me” no problem”. At the end of the day, they got it done.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
If I ended up doing it myself, I figured a punch was going to be the only option. Did he raise the vehicle so that the wheels were off the ground while adjusting them?
Yes while it was raised. However what Rick@FMS said is the correct way to do it so you don't risk damaging the threads.