Dealership messed up engine after cam phaser replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv_ika

Reaction score
I’ve had my 2019 Raptor for about 2 months and it’s at 22k miles. I didn’t notice it at first but there was a rattle sound at the cold start and I heard cam phasers were a common issue. Lo and behold, I took it to the dealership and it was in the shop for two days.

Fast forward to yesterday, I drove it home right after the shop closed for the week. Startup sounded great, no more rattle. The engine light was on but the mechanics all left for the day so I didn’t think much of it. But when after driving for 30minutes I saw white smoke coming from under the hood. Both the oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge climbed up to over halfway. I received these warning messages on the FordPass app (attached).

I’m mechanically inclined but I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary under the hood. It was a strong burning smell that I could strongly smell from the AC vents inside the truck. I took it to a nearby mechanic today and they couldn’t diagnose the issue and said to take it to the dealership.

Did anyone ever have this issue before? This truck had no issues besides the cam phasers prior to the dealership fixing it. I have to drive over the weekend to do errands, am I ruining my truck by driving it like this? It smoked again after I left the mechanic today. Truck runs “normal” from what I can tell and no noises from the engine.

I plan on taking it back first thing Monday when the Ford service department opens up again. I’m so upset about this whole situation.

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5334.jpeg
    IMG_5334.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, congrats, but apparently not enjoy...
They did something wrong but what...Are you sure your noise was phaser???
Whatever you must have your truck run correctly !

OP
OP
kv_ika

kv_ika

Reaction score
Welcome, congrats, but apparently not enjoy...
They did something wrong but what...Are you sure your noise was phaser???
Whatever you must have your truck run correctly !
That’s what the dealership told me it was. The rattle was gone after the cam phasers were replaced.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius.

Which dealership did you go to? Kirkland? Some smoke is expected as oil is burning off but this sounds a bit more.

Take a look at make sure you don't see any open PVC hoses, loose or unplugged connections. Also check your oil cap. Would also check coolant level now that it was ran and sat overnight.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I drove it home right after the shop closed for the week. Startup sounded great, no more rattle. The engine light was on but the mechanics all left for the day so I didn’t think much of it

+1 @Nex

I realize you know this now, but as a cautionary tale to everyone else:

NEVER, EVER accept your vehicle back from repair service in the afternoon on Friday. NEVER. Because it is always a rush to get it out the door.

If they call you at 2PM Friday, tell them you’ll pick it up Monday morning. Not Saturday, mechanics don’t work on repairs on the weekend, they do service only, IF they work at all.

I had this happen on a door latch issue, and sure enough, it didn’t take. They had one mechanic left in the shop, on his way out, who stayed to fix it.

My tailgate repair was a late Friday pickup and sure enough, remote start was disabled.

When you call them or show up first thing Monday, make sure you set the expectation: No matter who else is here, my truck goes to the FRONT of the line, R.F.N.

Put a critical eye on the truck before you leave, make sure there are no obvious leaks, dangling parts, what not. DON’T head home. drive locally to the stealership when you go, JUST in case there’s another issue.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
If the check engine light was on when I went to pick the truck up after a major repair like this, I would have left it. They need to fix what ever new issue they caused.