WTB 2nd gen, what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still holding out for @FordTechOne commentary on... comparison reliability to ... Toy. pretty sure he will find new and inventive ways to make incisive points and cause many LOLz
I always seem to ruffle a few feathers.

Toyota “reliability” is a farce, they need service and repair just like any other vehicle. The main difference is owners tend to excuse any and all problems because they claim it will “last forever” and it’s worth putting any amount of money into to keep it going, regardless of the fact that the frame is rotting in half. Never mind that toyota has the absolute cheapest quality interiors and consistently worst in class technology and features. Cassette player and drum brakes? Because “ReLiAbLe!!!” :insane:

The new Tundra has received less than favorable reviews for a multitude of reasons and has been plagued with turbocharger related failures (requires lifting the cab off the truck) among other pattern failures and recalls. The brainwashed brand loyalists will follow the badge regardless of how inferior the product is, you can’t talk sense into people like that.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy a new tundra- give it a few more years
In the old days Yota would introduce a new vehicle outside the US, get the early feedback, fix the big problems, and then "introduce" a relatively reliable vehicle with a three-year-old design. Then they'd run the same basic design for twenty years, which improved reliability at the cost of user experience. Now, with vehicles targeted at the US market from day one, and the desperate need for new pickup designs, they don't have that luxury. Expect the Tundra to be much more reliable five years from now. Today? I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole. Even then, Toyota is lousy at ergonomic design, so unless they fix that too, they're a non-starter for me.

stevenstommyboy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do most tier one guys use that as their username? Lots of CAG and DEVGRU guys lately!

Find a Raptor that has had all TSB's addressed, thorough maintenance records, close to stock, and fresh shocks. Ideally 5,000 mile oil change intervals, should be relatively problem free.
Devgru, have not heard that in a bit. Used to work there. They love Jack Daniels and Yuengling beer. Sorry to hijack the thread.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
I always seem to ruffle a few feathers.

Toyota “reliability” is a farce, they need service and repair just like any other vehicle. The main difference is owners tend to excuse any and all problems because they claim it will “last forever” and it’s worth putting any amount of money into to keep it going, regardless of the fact that the frame is rotting in half. Never mind that toyota has the absolute cheapest quality interiors and consistently worst in class technology and features. Cassette player and drum brakes? Because “ReLiAbLe!!!” :insane:

The new Tundra has received less than favorable reviews for a multitude of reasons and has been plagued with turbocharger related failures (requires lifting the cab off the truck) among other pattern failures and recalls. The brainwashed brand loyalists will follow the badge regardless of how inferior the product is, you can’t talk sense into people like that.
I’ve always viewed yotas as the glocks of the truck world. They’re cheaply made, relatively ugly, but perform marginally better than every other manufacturer.

Ford is like sig Sauer… sexy, ergonomic, gets the big military contracts but have a few more reliability issues. But we are talking TINY margins.

Everything needs to be maintained though.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve always viewed yotas as the glocks of the truck world. They’re cheaply made, relatively ugly, but perform marginally better than every other manufacturer.

Ford is like sig Sauer… sexy, ergonomic, gets the big military contracts but have a few more reliability issues. But we are talking TINY margins.

Everything needs to be maintained though.
meh... I know @FordTechOne has saved that picture of the frame / bed flex from the toy... They’re nothing like Glock, more like a well used, service grade 1911. Picky, finicky, unreliable ( sorry, not sorry 1911-philes ) but still serviceable, rocking early 20th century technology.

Ford trucks, all of them are truck first, and need to be fully capable of doing truck things. They will haul a full load of cargo, plus more from the Arctic circle, to death valley and everywhere in between. The F150 is more akin to the AK47. Ubiquitous, serviceable, reliable, durable & upgraded through many variant to keep it current.

Now, that said, I’ve known a few folks with the toys and they were happy with them. Maybe they’re ok. The Rap is in a different league.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
meh... I know @FordTechOne has saved that picture of the frame / bed flex from the toy... They’re nothing like Glock, more like a well used, service grade 1911. Picky, finicky, unreliable ( sorry, not sorry 1911-philes ) but still serviceable, rocking early 20th century technology.

Ford trucks, all of them are truck first, and need to be fully capable of doing truck things. They will haul a full load of cargo, plus more from the Arctic circle, to death valley and everywhere in between. The F150 is more akin to the AK47. Ubiquitous, serviceable, reliable, durable & upgraded through many variant to keep it current.

Now, that said, I’ve known a few folks with the toys and they were happy with them. Maybe they’re ok. The Rap is in a different league.
Do you would equate a raptor to like an Ak-12? Rugged reliable, yet modern sexy and accurate.

Firearm analogies aside, I should know better than to ask if the raptor is reliable on FRF lol

Silverburst

Reaction score
Had to replace the sway bar end link on my Gen 2. Lots of rattling and clunking sounds at speeds under 35-40 mph. Very common issue and many others have experienced it here as well. Luckily, it's not an expensive fix. But something to be aware of and investigate if you hear similar noises coming from the shocks area in the front.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you plan on doing all the maintenance yourself (inside a garage) you might want to invest in one of these. You'll need at least a small compressor to operate it, but they are easy to move, easy to store, and make it much faster and safer to get under the truck whenever you want to. https://www.quickjack.com/car-lifts/7000tlx/

Attachments

• 20230924_075043.jpg
    20230924_075043.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 10

Froadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having both a Gen2 Raptor and a 2016 4runner, I would definitely take the Raptor. They’ve both had their share of maintenance needs/issues. But believe it or not, Ford was far more helpful when things went wrong. The Raptor is way more comfortable, especially on long road trips. You won’t be disappointed making the switch

txmxer

Reaction score
I absolutely love my raptor, but saying Toyota reliability is a farce is hilarious. Ive had 4 tacomas, owned them all from 50,000 miles to 180,000 miles. Never had one issue, only ever did routine fluid changes and then a belt/alternator. Never hesitated to drive across the country.

Ive had my 2018 Raptor for about 10,000 miles now and about 4 months. Its currently at 53,000 miles. I bought it from an older couple, stock, it was used as the wifes grocery getter, very clean. In the last 2,000 miles Ive developed an oil leak from the plastic oil pan, water pump failure, and now the cam phasers. Seat heaters aren't working and the trans just started slipping and clunking. Again, these are common problems, not isolated to just my truck. Thank God for the extended warranty otherwise I would be screwed on the maintenance costs. My honest opinion, love the truck, drives amazing, road trips are great, tons of room in the cab. Personally, I wouldnt own one without an extended warranty. I read all about these common issues before buying and they're real, having the dealer do the work and get paid by the extended warranty has been awesome (mines fidelity warranty).

I had a Gmc Sierra Denali I bought with 50,000 miles and had zero issues with that truck so Im a little bummed out on what I've experienced with the raptor so far for being a truck with such low miles. I love the truck too much to hate it, hoping all the kinks will be worked out now. I will probably own it until the warranty expires then buy a newer one.