WTB 2nd gen, what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txmxer

Reaction score
@txmxer I guess you used all your vehicle good luck on your 4 Tacomas......Every manufacture have problems you got the short straw this time. Happens...
Yeah that could be it, but every problem I've had with the Raptor have been documented problems that are common issues among a lot of owners; they're not one off problems. Not saying every Toyota out there is perfect. Am I saying ford is shit and I'll never have a raptor again? Not at all. I think once these problems are taken care of I'll be very happy with the reliability. Again, if I were paying out of pocket for all these things it would be a different story. Im pretty reasonable with vehicles repairs and bad luck, as with anything, these are machines and machines fail, but I dont think the trucks a lemon, these are common problems with this generation Raptor. Id still buy the truck again as of now.

I spoke with ford customer service today and my VIN number doesnt qualify for any reimbursement of the cam phaser repair. Yet, we all know cam phasers are a common problem on these trucks. Anyway, happy for the warranty.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah that could be it, but every problem I've had with the Raptor have been documented problems that are common issues among a lot of owners; they're not one off problems. Not saying every Toyota out there is perfect. Am I saying ford is shit and I'll never have a raptor again? Not at all. I think once these problems are taken care of I'll be very happy with the reliability. Again, if I were paying out of pocket for all these things it would be a different story. Im pretty reasonable with vehicles repairs and bad luck, as with anything, these are machines and machines fail, but I dont think the trucks a lemon, these are common problems with this generation Raptor. Id still buy the truck again as of now.

I spoke with ford customer service today and my VIN number doesnt qualify for any reimbursement of the cam phaser repair. Yet, we all know cam phasers are a common problem on these trucks. Anyway, happy for the warranty.
It always comical when someone buys a used 6 year old truck with 50,000 miles and then thinks they’re entitled to comment on “issues” or “reliability”.

Was the truck properly maintained? What was the use case? Did the PO slide out of the seat every time they got out? Was recall 21B10 completed 2 years ago to prevent the phasers from wearing? The transmission adapts to the driver; therefore it learned the previous owner(s) driving style. I suppose you think that’s a “reliability issue” too, right? :rolleyes:

Not only that, but none of the issues you listed are a “reliability” issue, they didn’t leave you stranded. The composite oil pan leak is a TSB with a confirmed straightforward repair. Tacoma 2GRs are notorious for timing cover leaks, they have a TSB for valve failure that typically occurs after 60,000 miles ($13,000 repair, no typo), and they can’t even keep paint on them; they recently issued a customer satisfaction program to repaint sections of vehicles because the paint literally falls off. Clearly you have some brand bias to ignore the issues of one brand and then make a big deal about issues on another that you bought used.

txmxer

Reaction score
It always comical when someone buys a used 6 year old truck with 50,000 miles and then thinks they’re entitled to comment on “issues” or “reliability”.

Was the truck properly maintained? What was the use case? Did the PO slide out of the seat every time they got out? Was recall 21B10 completed 2 years ago to prevent the phasers from wearing? The transmission adapts to the driver; therefore it learned the previous owner(s) driving style. I suppose you think that’s a “reliability issue” too, right? :rolleyes:

Not only that, but none of the issues you listed are a “reliability” issue, they didn’t leave you stranded. The composite oil pan leak is a TSB with a confirmed straightforward repair. Tacoma 2GRs are notorious for timing cover leaks, they have a TSB for valve failure that typically occurs after 60,000 miles ($13,000 repair, no typo), and they can’t even keep paint on them; they recently issued a customer satisfaction program to repaint sections of vehicles because the paint literally falls off. Clearly you have some brand bias to ignore the issues of one brand and then make a big deal about issues on another that you bought used.
I think owning the truck entitles me to speak on issues and reliability. I'm not loyal to any brand honestly. Ive had toyotas, chevys, fords. All I'm saying is the issues the truck is having are not one off problems they are common well documented problems. I dont know why you're getting defensive, are you an engineer for ford or something? Would it make you feel better if I called it a design flaw instead of a reliability issue? Im sure toyotas have their own problems too, frame rust, paint like you mentioned, etc. Who cares. OP asked a question, would you not include the oil pan and cam phasers as design flaws?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think owning the truck entitles me to speak on issues and reliability. I'm not loyal to any brand honestly. Ive had toyotas, chevys, fords.
And if you bought any of those vehicles with the equivalent mileage of driving around the entire globe twice over, I’d say the same thing.

You never answered any of the questions above, likely because you can’t. It’s ridiculous to buy any used product and then claim that all of your “issues” are
“design flaws” while having not the slightest clue how the product was used, serviced, or cared for over the course of 6 years and 50k miles. Never mind the fact that the transmission strategy adapts to the driver, so calling that a “design flaw” or “reliability issue” just makes you look even more ignorant.

You claim you “never had one issue” with 4 Tacomas, then state that you had to replace the alternator? But that’s not a “design flaw” or “reliability issue”, right? :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter