Sunroof Exploded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership just called. The tech says he believes it was shattered due to stress and not as a result of being hit by something as he can find no evidence of impact.

They've taken pics and will submit their finding to Ford. They hope to have a determination today and will get me a rental (so they say). I'll report back.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SA just called. Ford approved a replacement under warranty and a rental vehicle has been ordered.

That is good news, it will be interesting to see if you get the updated panel with the slit in the right side of the weather striping. I believe that this is supposed to relieve stress on the panel and allow it not stick as bad. It is an updated part, they must have some serious issues with their sunroof glass supplier.

OP
OP
REMIX

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good news, it will be interesting to see if you get the updated panel with the slit in the right side of the weather striping. I believe that this is supposed to relieve stress on the panel and allow it not stick as bad. It is an updated part, they must have some serious issues with their sunroof glass supplier.

Do you have any info on how to tell? Didn't know about this.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any info on how to tell? Didn't know about this.

Yes looks like this, the older ones were all one complete weather strip molding.I am not sure when they switched to another roof panel or if it was an actual updated part. Just think whomever Ford uses to source Carlite glass just messed up on a bunch of roof panels. This is a common repair through out the country. Trust me Ford knows about it from a customer service standpoint.

raptorsunroof1.JPG

MDD

Reaction score
One month after purchasing mine I was washing it and what I thought was big splatter on the pano roof was a big chip out of the glass w several spiderweb streaks. Insurance covered it at their shop which was a collision center at a Buick dealer :eek:. Initial estimate was $700 but in the end $4k installed. New pano slide plus frame. Took 3 weeks on order and about a week for the repair. The repair took a couple days longer since the Buick place also owned a ford dealership 60 mi away and they thought it would be better to do it there. Duh. I’m happy w the job. Cost me $250 deductible.

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
If they even think of acting that way, or taking 2-3 weeks to "figure it out", I'll be trading it toward some other brand the second it comes back from repair.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to rent a car to get around. They don't have any loaners.
Ck with your insurance company to see if they provide you loaner cars for stuff like that. They might.

Status
Not open for further replies.