Sunroof won't open - 2018 Screw 802a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I couldn't find anything specific to what I'm dealing with. I use to have the loud clunk/thud when opening and then did the open vent then close to open panel trick. That seemed to work. Probably going to have to call Ford. Anyways, I open my sunroof all the time. If it's above 50 degrees, I'm driving around town with it open. Just had it open over the weekend, went to open it yesterday, and it won't. I can vent it, the vent goes up and down but when I go to slide it back, it comes down like it wants to move back and stops. Maybe opens half an inch b/c I can hear the air coming through. I can keep hitting the button and it acts like it wants to but same result. I read somewhere about greasing the rails? Am I better off just to have Ford take a look and then manage it myself after? Thanks in advance, always quality help and advice in hear.

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to mine I actually had to go up top and push the glass down so it can clear to slide back. I had my tracks greased and all.
With that being said I would leave it closed until you take to the dealer mine stopped closing all the way and they had to change out the whole sunroof assembly. I opened it as stated and I could not get it to seal shut properly there was pieces of the track broken inside the rails. Let the dealer handle this one was covered under warranty

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can vent it, the vent goes up and down but when I go to slide it back, it comes down like it wants to move back and stops. Maybe opens half an inch b/c I can hear the air coming through. I can keep hitting the button and it acts like it wants to but same result. I read somewhere about greasing the rails? Am I better off just to have Ford take a look and then manage it myself after? Thanks in advance, always quality help and advice in hear.

Stop. Do not pass go. RUN, do not walk, to your Ford Stealership service department of choice.

There is almost certainly debris in the track. What debris?
I’m glad you asked.

it’s probably a broken piece of the plastic guide in the rails. If you keep trying to open it, the glass may eventually move back, buuuuuuutttttt .... it may not close.

Which of these is the worse condition?

Yes, it is possible to repair this yourself and if you’re into that sort of thing, good on you. I’d probably defer to a pro on this repair but there are plenty of folks out there who have reported repairing a broken F150 moon roof track. Some have even done it successfully.

That ‘popping sound’ when you open the moon roof < good. Lube the glass to rubber seals and it should get a lot more smooth, once the repair is done.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop. Do not pass go. RUN, do not walk, to your Ford Stealership service department of choice.

There is almost certainly debris in the track. What debris?
I’m glad you asked.

it’s probably a broken piece of the plastic guide in the rails. If you keep trying to open it, the glass may eventually move back, buuuuuuutttttt .... it may not close.

Which of these is the worse condition?

Yes, it is possible to repair this yourself and if you’re into that sort of thing, good on you. I’d probably defer to a pro on this repair but there are plenty of folks out there who have reported repairing a broken F150 moon roof track. Some have even done it successfully.

That ‘popping sound’ when you open the moon roof < good. Lube the glass to rubber seals and it should get a lot more smooth, once the repair is done.
This. My 2018 goes in on Friday to get this issue repaired

OP
OP
Greatest of all Tims
Reaction score
This. My 2018 goes in on Friday to get this issue repaired
Went to the dealer lol. Still under warranty until September. Just got her back yesterday. One day job, it was nice. They replaced a few parts in the track. So now, best ways to make sure it doesn't happen again? Lube the tracks or something like that. Thanks guys!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
GoaT, lube the rubber seals where the glass meets, this will prevent the glass and rubber “sticking” together. If you don’t use the moon roof for a long period of time, and that varies by climate and circumstances, when you finally open the moon roof, the glass and rubber stick together with enough resistance to overcome the strength of the moon roof mechanism. It can break tabs off, stick them in the track and prevent opening rearward or closing forward. You can work around this by popping to the vent position first, then closing, then opening the moon roof rearward.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer lol. Still under warranty until September. Just got her back yesterday. One day job, it was nice. They replaced a few parts in the track. So now, best ways to make sure it doesn't happen again? Lube the tracks or something like that. Thanks guys!
I was told they replaced plastic parts that broke with metal parts. I wasn't there to watch so have to take their word for it

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes they replace the plastic track with metal if the plastic breaks. FYI the reason for the sticking has nothing to do with the track but the outer rubber seals that get stuck together. This causes the track to break and why it is imperative to lube the seals 2-4 times per year.