Sunroof won't open - 2018 Screw 802a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ummm, that’s what I was referring to. The gaskets stick and the motor tries to open but he rollers in the track bind inside the plastic track and breaks.

Also, The gaskets stick between the 2 glass panels. When the panel tries to go down, is when it breaks. Thanks for the correction though….
Ahh I think I misunderstood you. All good we are saying the same thing.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went to the dealer lol. Still under warranty until September. Just got her back yesterday. One day job, it was nice. They replaced a few parts in the track. So now, best ways to make sure it doesn't happen again? Lube the tracks or something like that. Thanks guys!

You have to lube the glass more then anything.....not the tracks. The glass sticks to itself at the seems, and that is what puts the stress on the tracks.

OP
OP
Greatest of all Tims
Reaction score
You have to lube the glass more then anything.....not the tracks. The glass sticks to itself at the seems, and that is what puts the stress on the tracks.
Thank you! I'm sure there are some videos online on where to lube properly? Also, where is everyone buying it from? I looked on Amazon but it didn't seem like the right thing that everyone keeps talking about, Kryo?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tip - first put the glass in vent mode (with the rear of the glass tilted up. clean the rubber seal with a damp rag. Apply Krytox to as much as the seal as you can get to on both pieces of glass. Next open the roof and do the same to the front seal. Also clean the front body where the front glass meets with the rag.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also been re-lubing mine with lithium grease because Krytox was ridiculously expensive, but it doesn't last very long at all—at least in Florida. I opened it recently on our last roadtrip in the mountains where it was cool and I got a worse sound, so...I'm going to pony up and by Krytox when the weather improves. (EDIT: I just did, especially because I've accidentally hit the button before and it wasn't good) You don't use much, but it was way cheaper to buy an entire tub of it than a tube of Krytox.

The last I saw of this issue only one person said, "just buy the Krytox." Now everyone says it and for good reason.

There's a TSB out somewhere talking about what you need to lube exactly. I found it on this forum originally.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm sure there are some videos online on where to lube properly? Also, where is everyone buying it from? I looked on Amazon but it didn't seem like the right thing that everyone keeps talking about, Kryo?

I just bought RV seal. $5 from auto zone. I lube things once a quarter and have had zero issues.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend recommended using silicone Sliquid. She already had a bottle. Job done. And done.

RedPanda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2017 SCREW and same thing as above. Sunroof doesnt want to open but will vent.

Should I take to the stealership for service before I Krytox? Or is the Krytox a solve in it's own?