New-to-me 2019: big bounces on concrete highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I already asked both questions. Must be top secret info because he doesn't want to discuss it.

Bro I know LOL. I pretty much asked the same question everyone else did. But he has to learn Raptor tire pressure for a given usage means a whole lot. I’m still learning this off the road.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Your tries are over inflated, try 32 rear and 34 front. Lower the smoother.

I bought a 2019 Raptor from Carmax a week or so ago. Its in-service date was October 2019 - someone put 26,000 miles on it in just over a year of ownership (during the pandemic in California, no less).

I had a surprising moment this morning driving on a concrete highway section near my house - the concrete slabs set up a recurring bounce / oscillation in the entire truck, as if it were an old Buick with the shocks completely blown out. The truck was gently but dramatically bouncing up and down, with maybe 1.5 seconds per "cycle".

I was going approximately 70 mph. It only ended when the concrete section ran out (it is only a few hundred feet long). No load in the bed other than a Leer roll cover.

In other driving the shocks seem to be okay, including on concrete highways and other surfaces throughout the Bay Area. In general it isn't that bouncy - this particular pattern in this particular road (actually an extended interchange / overpass) just seemed to trigger it somehow. Is this "normal" or should I be thinking about rebuilding the shocks already? I don't really know what's normal for a Raptor - I had a 2018 F150 FX4 and a Wrangler Rubicon before, so I'm kind of used to trucks in general, but the Raptor is new to me.

The truck looks in good condition overall - no leaking from the shocks - and while it was a little dusty I didn't see anything on the underside that looked like they had done any serious off-roading.

I'm going to bring it to the local Ford dealer in a few days to check it over but I'm not holding out much hope that they know what they're doing.

Anything I can do to check the shocks? They do firm up noticeably when I put it in Sport mode.

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. The tire pressure was about 39 psi, and yeah, still the original BFG tires. I tried lowering to 36F, 35R and I guess it improved the ride a bit overall but didn’t change the bounce on that section of highway.

No Brakes

Reaction score
The truck sends information to the driver about what's under wheel. Certain sections of highway, like the concrete slabs you mentioned, can cause a high frequency oscillate in the suspension. The cab starts to resonate at specific velocities because the space between the dips in road syncs up with the rebound in the shock. It's an interesting phenomenon but nothing to worry about. You'll appreciate that road feedback on the dirt! Some sacrifices must be made on road unfortunately. Other members have given some good tips for dialing in that road feel.

This has happened to me highway driving through Salt Lake in my Gen 1 - felt like I was leaving earths atmosphere.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This concern is literally referred to as the “California Hop” by many technicians. As others mentioned, it’s the result of the variances between the concrete slabs used on the highways. There is nothing the dealer can do to eliminate it; all you can do is run the correct tire pressures.

If you think it’s bad in a Raptor, you should ride in an unloaded HD truck on the same stretch of highway. You literally bounce out of your seat!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all. The tire pressure was about 39 psi, and yeah, still the original BFG tires. I tried lowering to 36F, 35R and I guess it improved the ride a bit overall but didn’t change the bounce on that section of highway.

Put the rears no higher than 34psi. I’d even go a pound or two lower if the hop is that bad. If you mostly drive around unloaded, and with too much rear pressure you will have more center tread tire wear as well.

Fronts should be good!

Hdaniel85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue on my 2019, I only notice it on some concrete roads not all of them. I guarantee it's an issue with how the road is and it matches up perfectly with our tires/suspension setup to produce a violent ride. Dealer reported no issues on the truck and I had my tires at 38 front/rear the day I left that dealer lot. I just got used to it, it's more than likely not your truck.

Docked Wages

Reaction score
Previously I've described the factory ride of the Raptor as more like my old 76 Lincoln and less of a regular F150.

My wife complained about the "Floaty" ride of hers so I showed her a few videos of Trophy trucks racing and how the suspension is designed to articulate. I then took her for a ride and tore around town like a trophy truck extolling the virtues of the suspension but she never stopped complaining about the bouncy ride.

Switching to Eibach springs up front made her happy because now the truck feels like our other F150 with a slightly tighter feel but now I hate that it feels like any other truck and has lost that "Trophy Truck" feel.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Previously I've described the factory ride of the Raptor as more like my old 76 Lincoln and less of a regular F150.

My wife complained about the "Floaty" ride of hers so I showed her a few videos of Trophy trucks racing and how the suspension is designed to articulate. I then took her for a ride and tore around town like a trophy truck extolling the virtues of the suspension but she never stopped complaining about the bouncy ride.

Switching to Eibach springs up front made her happy because now the truck feels like our other F150 with a slightly tighter feel but now I hate that it feels like any other truck and has lost that "Trophy Truck" feel.

Yes a proper demo was needed LOL. What year is your truck? I have Eibachs on mine and it feels like a Raptor when driving it. The springs sured a couple of areas up, like nose dives and some added lateral handling a little. But same cushy ride.