New-to-me 2019: big bounces on concrete highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happens on concrete highways when the sections aren't all flat, some tilted one way, the next another. It's a sign of low-quality construction. We have quite a bit of it in Colorado. I can feel it in my 2020. It was literally like holding onto a jackhammer in my old Dodge. I can't tell from your description exactly how bad it is and how much you should worry, but if it's only that one section of road, you're likely golden.
We sure do have it here in CO.

mattl600

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup..

405 by Wilshire? or the 5 to the 110 south?

I brought home a 2020 raptor with 10k on the clock and had this bounce on a couple sections of highway.

I ended up going with 38psi front and 36psi rear when cold and it's MUCH better for me.

OP
OP
A

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Good to know this isn't out of the ordinary.

This was westbound highway 92 as it crosses over 101, just north of Foster City, CA.

I have to say the ride in this 2019 isn't quite what I expected. So many reviews talk about a plush, Cadillac-like, floaty ride. The ride isn't bad by any means - but it really isn't plush. It's pretty "busy" on the highway and it transmits a lot of small bumps and chatter.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You still running the stock load range C KO2s? Sounds like you need to air down a little.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to say the ride in this 2019 isn't quite what I expected. So many reviews talk about a plush, Cadillac-like, floaty ride. The ride isn't bad by any means - but it really isn't plush. It's pretty "busy" on the highway and it transmits a lot of small bumps and chatter.

It all depends on where you're coming from. For those of us who came from other 4wd trucks, particularly older ones, it's like floating on clouds. Compared to a car? Not so much.

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2019 Raptor from Carmax a week or so ago. Its in-service date was October 2019 - someone put 26,000 miles on it in just over a year of ownership (during the pandemic in California, no less).

I had a surprising moment this morning driving on a concrete highway section near my house - the concrete slabs set up a recurring bounce / oscillation in the entire truck, as if it were an old Buick with the shocks completely blown out. The truck was gently but dramatically bouncing up and down, with maybe 1.5 seconds per "cycle".

I was going approximately 70 mph. It only ended when the concrete section ran out (it is only a few hundred feet long). No load in the bed other than a Leer roll cover.

In other driving the shocks seem to be okay, including on concrete highways and other surfaces throughout the Bay Area. In general it isn't that bouncy - this particular pattern in this particular road (actually an extended interchange / overpass) just seemed to trigger it somehow. Is this "normal" or should I be thinking about rebuilding the shocks already? I don't really know what's normal for a Raptor - I had a 2018 F150 FX4 and a Wrangler Rubicon before, so I'm kind of used to trucks in general, but the Raptor is new to me.

The truck looks in good condition overall - no leaking from the shocks - and while it was a little dusty I didn't see anything on the underside that looked like they had done any serious off-roading.

I'm going to bring it to the local Ford dealer in a few days to check it over but I'm not holding out much hope that they know what they're doing.

Anything I can do to check the shocks? They do firm up noticeably when I put it in Sport mode.
This is normal... California has terrible roads! Especially concrete of all things! The roads in the Bay Area are worst in Cali that I have experienced. Not the trucks fault for that one! Enjoy the new truck!

Killjoy

Reaction score
I would say that ever since we moved it to top perch our Gen 1 definitely rode stiffer but we needed it to clear the 37" tires. Sometimes it's hard to tell but maybe just check that the front isn't set all the way up or just visually compare to another stock Raptor, ask mechanic, etc.

Xlr8tor

Reaction score
Air down.
Im in a Burb of Chicago and roads are terrible.
I air down to 34F 32R cold. Big difference.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Good to know this isn't out of the ordinary.

This was westbound highway 92 as it crosses over 101, just north of Foster City, CA.

shocks dont have to leak in order to be bad. the bounce is normal in that area. you may need shocks rebuilt and or springs. just because it doesnt appear to be offroaded, doesnt mean it hasnt. and the bay area roads will take its toll on suspension components. 101 south as you are coming to the 880 there was a huge pothole they just fixed recently, but that thing made cars slow donw to 30 or swerve out of the way. i always took it at speed, but its a big hit.