2019 - Final Gut Check Before Fixing Broken Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basil S2K

Reaction score
a few months ago my truck starting making a clunking sound on the road over very small bumps or something as small as a man hole cover.

The sound seems to happen when the shocks are unloaded or extended slightly. I've chased every potential loose part on the truck before reading up here a bit more and eventually taking it to the dealer.

The dealer confirmed worn rear shocks and quoted me $2,200 to replace them.

I've seen rear shocks costing $3,400 new so I've asked the dealer for some detail on what they are doing.

The other option I have is TSW for rebuilds, have a call into them, seems like that is the better route. The install of the shocks seems pretty easy but I'm a little concerned about the wire i see, does that simply plug in?

Appreciate any help or guidance from anyone who has been through similar and maybe why these shocks have broken already. Truck just hit 45K miles and is not off roaded much at all, maybe a 10 miles per year on some very slow trails.

Thanks all,

Basil

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean it's almost time for them to be rebuilt - no need to replace them they are designed to be rebuilt, unless there is a defect.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shocks need to be rebuilt at a minimum of 50K miles. Do not purchase them through your dealer. You should be able to get the two rears brand new for around $1,000 from RockAuto, if they are in stock, and install them yourself if you go that route. Also, your fronts will need to be rebuilt/replaced as well.

I'd plan on doing all 4 of them at the same time. TSW or buying new from RockAuto..

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
shocks need to be rebuilt at a minimum of 50K miles. Do not purchase them through your dealer. You should be able to get the two rears brand new for around $1,000 from RockAuto, if they are in stock, and install them yourself if you go that route. Also, your fronts will need to be rebuilt/replaced as well.

I'd plan on doing all 4 of them at the same time. TSW or buying new from RockAuto..
I have 65k miles on my ‘20, w/ a good chunk of miles hauling a double jetski trailer + 2 dogs 2 kids wife & gear, probably up to 5k miles easy loaded up like that, my shocks are still definitely fine & showing no sign of obvious wear the ride is still plush on & offroad

The leaf springs are probably 1/2 shot tho

Are you sure you can buy live valve OEM shocks on rock auto? I thought it was only the 17-18 non-live valves

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
so while we are talking live shox what is involved with installing them?

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should just be disconnecting an electrical wire. installing is a little bit tougher than a normal shock bc it cant be compressed by hand

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so while we are talking live shox what is involved with installing them?
You drive to the shop, tell the shop dudes: “new parts are in the bed, replace shocks all the way around. Overtorque any nuts on the truck and I rip your thumbs off with a pair of pliers. We good?"

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 65k miles on my ‘20, w/ a good chunk of miles hauling a double jetski trailer + 2 dogs 2 kids wife & gear, probably up to 5k miles easy loaded up like that, my shocks are still definitely fine & showing no sign of obvious wear the ride is still plush on & offroad

The leaf springs are probably 1/2 shot tho

Are you sure you can buy live valve OEM shocks on rock auto? I thought it was only the 17-18 non-live valves
I'm in this boat as well. Unless you beating it's ass off-road, these 3" shocks shouldn't need rebuilt at 50k miles. That's stupid