New-to-me 2019: big bounces on concrete highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Mund

Reaction score
My 2019 Raptor does the same on Hwy 4 (west bound) through the Antioch/Pittsburg area. It’s the only area I have experienced the same. It was more exaggerated in my 2009 and 2013 F-150’s.

TopElement

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is pretty awful for on-road handling and stability. Big squishy tires and soft suspension actually feel more stable on dirt roads.

Airing tires down to low 30's helps reduce bouncing, but the sway and diving front end feels worse. You get used to it, and appreciate great handling cars a whole lot more when you drive them!

Frank R

Reaction score
I have same issue and I 94 and I 75 exchange here in Detroit going 70 mph and left lane she bounces pretty good hasta be the way they poured the concrete I drive over same area with shorter wheel base fusion and it’s smooth as silk It’s no big deal

Basil S2K

Reaction score
I almost bought a raptor from Car Max, interesting to work with. Nobody could confirm an 802A package on it. Everytime I called the number in Florida where the truck was i ended up talking with someone in AZ, CA, VA all over. If i could stay on hold long enough they would connect me with someone in Florida and then i would have t convince them to find the truck in the lot of 100s and confirm some options. The closes I got was staying on hold for over 30 mins and having someone come back to me with "yeah mang, that truck is here mang, you come take a look"? I'm in NJ. I got so desperate i had it shipped hee which takes 2.5 weeks. Meanwhile i learned enough to find it was an 801A with some good options.

I bit the bullet and got an 802A from a dealer. you cant make an 801A into and 802A with a few options. My new truck has everything but a bed cover on it. Cant wait.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Good to know this isn't out of the ordinary.

This was westbound highway 92 as it crosses over 101, just north of Foster City, CA.

I have to say the ride in this 2019 isn't quite what I expected. So many reviews talk about a plush, Cadillac-like, floaty ride. The ride isn't bad by any means - but it really isn't plush. It's pretty "busy" on the highway and it transmits a lot of small bumps and chatter.

Ive traveled that direction pretty frequent. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary in my 2019. That section can be pretty bumpy and depending on speed it can be better or worse. When I sold my Gen 1 and got the Gen 2, I noticed right away that it rode smoother. I attribute alot of it to going from Load range D to C.

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, your situation is normal. I have the exact same thing, and asked the exact same question when I bought the truck. I noticed it on the freeway here in SLC. Last year I drove across country and found the exact problem on the freeway in Tulsa. It's the only other place I noticed the issue. I don't know if the cities used the same contractor, poured the cement at the same length, or what, but it is definitely a road issue and not a Raptor issue. My son purchased a TRD Pro brand new last year and has a similar problem, so I know it's the road.

The issue can be helped a little by running lower tire pressures...but it doesn't go away.

Some have said replacing the rear springs with Deavers/Icons and torque arms fixes the problem. I haven't yet done that so can't confirm one way or the other.

I can confirm that rebuilding the shocks does not fix the problem. Tried that.

I can also confirm that going from load range E KO2's back to load range D KO2's does not fix the problem.

Some trucks seem to experience the issue more than others. I have no idea why that would be. But don't feel like there's something wrong with your truck. It's fine. It's annoying, but don't spend a lot of money hunting for a problem.

The upside is you get used to it. And the truck is so much fun everywhere else, it's worth it to put up with your voice going crazy when you're singing in the truck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is your cold tire pressure front and rear? A couple of pounds either way makes a big difference on the Raptor. Stock KO2’s was it?