2019 - Final Gut Check Before Fixing Broken Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You by the Fox 3.0's and E-Click to upgrade a 17-18 to a live valve set up (or as close as you can get to live valve) $4,000+ ish

I have 56k on my 2018, she is getting floaty on the highway. This summer is when I plan on getting the work done.

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
Back again.... I contacted MSW to rebuild the shox, figured I would buy a set and then send them my old shox once the rebuilds were on and get he core $$

So, for 2019s (orange live shox) they have no inventory, they want me to take the shox off, send them to Texas, they will rebuild them in day and send them back. it's like a 5 day turnaround at least as I am in NJ. Said I can drive the truck around but it won't handle well. Aside from how it handles do any of you see any issues with doing this? I have other cars to drive but like my Raptor.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back again.... I contacted MSW to rebuild the shox, figured I would buy a set and then send them my old shox once the rebuilds were on and get he core $$

So, for 2019s (orange live shox) they have no inventory, they want me to take the shox off, send them to Texas, they will rebuild them in day and send them back. it's like a 5 day turnaround at least as I am in NJ. Said I can drive the truck around but it won't handle well. Aside from how it handles do any of you see any issues with doing this? I have other cars to drive but like my Raptor.
Dude- just buy new ones then sell your take-offs to recoup some cost

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are you talking about. The piston can be worn and disks or valves broke, contaminated oil. They don’t have to leak to be bad.
I said if they aren't leaking AND they are still damping the spring- they are fine. There is no magic mileage number when they are worn out.

I know shocks can wear internally and not leak. I've pulled off plenty of non-leaking shocks that were done. If they are leaking though- it's a clear sign they are either bad, or soon to be bad.

If you can't tell worn out shocks from good shocks on something like a Raptor with it's 100+ lb wheel and tire combo- well, I guess you can just keep parting ways with thousands in cash on a time frame someone has else detemined for you. It's glaringly obvious to me when they are needed, and I'm not replacing them until it's needed.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said if they aren't leaking AND they are still damping the spring- they are fine. There is no magic mileage number when they are worn out.

I know shocks can wear internally and not leak. I've pulled off plenty of non-leaking shocks that were done. If they are leaking though- it's a clear sign they are either bad, or soon to be bad.

If you can't tell worn out shocks from good shocks on something like a Raptor with it's 100+ lb wheel and tire combo- well, I guess you can just keep parting ways with thousands in cash on a time frame someone has else detemined for you. It's glaringly obvious to me when they are needed, and I'm not replacing them until it's needed.
Shocks can be non leaking and the fluid can be beyond its life. So this is only half correct. Your 65k shocks for sure need a rebuild. Are they ok, sure, are they performing the way they are intended. For sure they are not. I rebuilt mine at 54k and it made a huge difference, but they weren't leaking or unsafe by any means. The rebound just isnt what it once was and the shock does not control the wheel in the same way as the fluid breaks down from heat.

I'm not at 98.5k miles so about 45k on the rebuild at can already tell they should be done.

Rebuild your shocks people or at least have a proper understanding of the system they were designed to be.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shocks can be non leaking and the fluid can be beyond its life. So this is only half correct. Your 65k shocks for sure need a rebuild. Are they ok, sure, are they performing the way they are intended. For sure they are not. I rebuilt mine at 54k and it made a huge difference, but they weren't leaking or unsafe by any means. The rebound just isnt what it once was and the shock does not control the wheel in the same way as the fluid breaks down from heat.

I'm not at 98.5k miles so about 45k on the rebuild at can already tell they should be done.

Rebuild your shocks people or at least have a proper understanding of the system they were designed to be.
Again, it's SUPER obvious when shocks are worn out when there is a 100+ lb tire and wheel package at each corner.

The "system" you refer to is a spring and a damper- there's nothing else involved. Maybe you can't tell when the shocks no longer dampen the springs by simply driving the vehicle over rough roads- but I do not find it difficult at all.

If the shock dampens the spring motion, the system works. If the spring keeps boing-boing-boinging after a bump, you replace the shocks. You can see that, and feel that.

I'll replace mine when it's actually needed, not when some shock snob on the internet pronouces them "in need of a rebuild" despite never having seen them or having driven the vehicle. I know brand new shocks would perform better than the old ones- but it's still not actually needed.

Do you replace you roof every 5 years because some granules are missing? It could be better than that old worn roof. Do you throw out pickles because they are past their date?

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, it's SUPER obvious when shocks are worn out when there is a 100+ lb tire and wheel package at each corner.

The "system" you refer to is a spring and a damper- there's nothing else involved. Maybe you can't tell when the shocks no longer dampen the springs by simply driving the vehicle over rough roads- but I do not find it difficult at all.

If the shock dampens the spring motion, the system works. If the spring keeps boing-boing-boinging after a bump, you replace the shocks. You can see that, and feel that.

I'll replace mine when it's actually needed, not when some shock snob on the internet pronouces them "in need of a rebuild" despite never having seen them or having driven the vehicle. I know brand new shocks would perform better than the old ones- but it's still not actually needed.

Do you replace you roof every 5 years because some granules are missing? It could be better than that old worn roof. Do you throw out pickles because they are past their date?
What do you do on your Ford GT?