Help For Buddy's 2019 Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHBD

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 2014 and don't spend much time in the Gen 2 section. My buddy has a 2019 with 103xxx miles on it. It's been flawless since he got it at 68k but recently, when we got back from a coyote hunting trip, it has had these issues several times:

'After highway driving and I come to a stop, it will have an extremely rough idle(to the point that the truck shakes). Followed by a rattling noise on acceleration and sometimes goes into limp mode. Sometimes turning it off and on helps. Getting the code cleared with another friend's Snap On scanner will make it go away for a while as well. Each time it gets a p0021 CEL.'

I've done some research for him and I keep finding VCT solenoid as the culprit. Does that sound right? Anyone have a ballpark for what the repair cost will look like? The parts themselves seem inexpensive.

Of course his extended warranty ended 3k miles ago.

Thank you in advance!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Common issue on poorly maintained engines. Debris/varnish/sludge ends up clogging the VCT solenoids, causing erratic VCT operation with rough idle, stalling, etc. There is a procedure to try and clear the solenoids by cycling them with 12V power, but I would highly recommend replacement instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter