Looking for help with axle and IWE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVRaptor69

Reaction score
I have an 18 with what I think has the failing IWE sound. The grinding when going slow and when braking. Goes away 80% in 4A. I bought a new check valve, but if that doesn’t fix it, can I buy a delete kit and be done with it, or do I need to repair something else first?
While looking at it I also have this leaky inner axle.

Do I need just need to change the seal? What’s the name of it?

I work on older VW stuff so I’m not super well versed on these trucks. Thanks for your help.
IMG_2190.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re better off just properly fixing the IWE system. The vacuum system needs to be diagnosed before installing any new parts, otherwise you’ll have repeat failures. All you need is a vacuum pump for diagnosis.

As far as the seal, you’ll need a slide hammer to remove the axle shaft from the differential and a seal installer to seat the new seal on the axle housing.

OP
OP
L

LVRaptor69

Reaction score
You’re better off just properly fixing the IWE system. The vacuum system needs to be diagnosed before installing any new parts, otherwise you’ll have repeat failures. All you need is a vacuum pump for diagnosis.

As far as the seal, you’ll need a slide hammer to remove the axle shaft from the differential and a seal installer to seat the new seal on the axle housing.
Thanks. I ordered a check valve because the other one was a little sticky. I’ll prob take this into Ford because it still has the drivetrain warranty (is this counts?). Was trying to avoid their 6 week wait times.

OP
OP
L

LVRaptor69

Reaction score

Do you know if the IWE system and axle are covered under the 6 year /100k warranty? It’s drivetrain but two SA’s at different dealerships couldn’t tell me if it was part of the drivetrain. Thanks.