IWE intermittent noise help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcb054

Reaction score
Hi All - I just purchased a Gen 1 Raptor ('13) a few weeks ago and I am getting very intermittent grinding noise from the passenger side wheel (sounds like) and its not super loud. Its very hard to replicate because it is so random. After a lot of reading on here, I believe its IWE (but could be wrong) and so I plan to change out the check valve and solenoid but have some q's I am looking for help on...

I found some replacement parts via amazon Valve and Solenoid - wondering if its okay to purchase these instead of the OEM parts (which are double the cost from what I can find)?

Also, the car was just inspected (in PA) and I am wondering if any of the vacuum seals or lines would have been checked as part of inspection? I did read up quite a bit on the topic from other threads on the forum so I understand the problem could extend past the valve and solenoid

Last Q - I had to have the ball joints (lower) replaced on both fronts. Not sure if this could be contributing to the intermittent sound rather than it being IWE related. Looking for anyone that could weigh in and help me with understanding if that's possibly connected

Thanks for the help!

quickxotics

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my truck and replacing the valve with the updated (blue) check valve part fixed it. For me it was at low speeds in neighborhoods and I could not replicate it either, but it seems like most people replacing that part takes care of it.

OP
OP
R

rcb054

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my truck and replacing the valve with the updated (blue) check valve part fixed it. For me it was at low speeds in neighborhoods and I could not replicate it either, but it seems like most people replacing that part takes care of it.
Thanks! When you say the updated valve, do you happen to know which part #? I think the one you are talking about shows as 15-20 f150 but maybe that's ok to use?

Like this valve

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The IWE check valve doesn't see different loads, nor does it stretch, or move up and down "at low speeds in neighborhoods" but the vacuum lines do. Check them out and be sure they aren't cracked, torn, or loose before they do REAL damage to your hubs.... and wallet.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to have the ball joints (lower) replaced on both fronts. Not sure if this could be contributing to the intermittent sound rather than it being IWE related.
They probably damaged either your IWE vac lines or the actual IWEs doing the ball joints.

It's a plastic vac line. On a 11 year old vechile. Right next to the brake rotor. Look at it wrong and it'll break.

If you do the lines, replace the lines with cupronickle brake lines or soft copper tubing and be done with it.

If it's the IWEs, I'd just delete them and forget about that POS design forever. It won't hurt anything but the gas mileage a little bit.

OP
OP
R

rcb054

Reaction score
I
They probably damaged either your IWE vac lines or the actual IWEs doing the ball joints.

It's a plastic vac line. On a 11 year old vechile. Right next to the brake rotor. Look at it wrong and it'll break.

If you do the lines, replace the lines with cupronickle brake lines or soft copper tubing and be done with it.

If it's the IWEs, I'd just delete them and forget about that POS design forever. It won't hurt anything but the gas mileage a little bit.
I started by replacing the check valve and so far, no noise since but time will tell