Help with grinding sound only in 4 wheel drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kru

Reaction score
I have exactly the same sound happening intermittently only when in 2-wheel drive mode. When I put it in 4A, the sound does not happen. I have had the passenger hub and front axle replaced but the noise still persists. The old axle where the hub mounted was cracked in two and I thought for sure that was the cause. Anyway, I am also waiting for the problem to get worse so I can diagnose it...

Truck is a 2017 SCAB.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good call.

@FordTechOne Would you happen to have any insights or help on this?
Can’t hear anything in the video so just going by your description.is the truck completely stock? It sounds like the shop was throwing parts, the only way to accurately pinpoint a noise that can’t be diagnosed by ear/feel is by using chassis ears. Basically a microphone that mounts to a component via magnet or clip and amplifies the noise.

Driveshafts act as a transfer path conductor for noises. Since the noise is not present with the driveshaft removed and they already threw a transfer case at it, it’s likely a differential, IWE, or wheel bearing that is causing the noise. A concern with any of those components can change in intensity when torque is applied in 4WD.

One often missed component is the small bearing on the end of the axle shaft within the wheel bearing; when they get contaminated or worn they will make a sound similar to what you’re describing.

OP
OP
C

Coyote_695

Reaction score
Can’t hear anything in the video so just going by your description.is the truck completely stock? It sounds like the shop was throwing parts, the only way to accurately pinpoint a noise that can’t be diagnosed by ear/feel is by using chassis ears. Basically a microphone that mounts to a component via magnet or clip and amplifies the noise.

Driveshafts act as a transfer path conductor for noises. Since the noise is not present with the driveshaft removed and they already threw a transfer case at it, it’s likely a differential, IWE, or wheel bearing that is causing the noise. A concern with any of those components can change in intensity when torque is applied in 4WD.

One often missed component is the small bearing on the end of the axle shaft within the wheel bearing; when they get contaminated or worn they will make a sound similar to what you’re describing.
Thanks for the reply. Ya, diagnosing sounds over a video is hard. And yes, truck is stock with 68k miles. According to the shop, they were in fact using chassis ears. I actually have a set myself and went through all of that initially. Also spent some time this morning going back through and listening some more. All noise seems to point to to where the CV connects to the diff on the right/passenger side. And once again, it is considerably more apparent when off throttle/decelerating. A light touch of the throttle and it quiets down immensely.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 104307.png

This is where I initially asked them to look and from what they told me, this is the bearing they already replaced, in fact, they gave me the old one. It is also still where I am still hearing all of the noise.

Chassis ears on both ends of the drive shaft were quiet, connected to the back of the IWE as well as the back of the hub (mounted to some of the brake mounting bolts) was quiet. The location in the picture above seems to capture what I'm hearing.

I also decided to put my go pro under the truck to see if anything stood out to me. There was too much road noise to hear anything but it sure seems like the CV has some wobble to it when I'm watching it.

As for the bearing you mentioned, I'm not sure I know where that is. Would replacing the hub resolve that? I hate to keep throwing money at random parts but I've given some thought to changing the hub/wheel bearing just in case since its relatively quick and easy to do. I have put that off however because the chassis ears have yet to pick anything up when mounting around the IWE/Hub area.

I'm still open to this being a normal sound, it just sounds like a bad bearing / metal on metal in my ears which is rarely normal. It's also a tone/frequency that seems to be hard for some to pick up. So, I'm trying to exhaust all of my options before throwing in the towel and waiting for something to potentially break down the road.