4 Wheel Drive Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I’d highly recommend changing to deletes lol so much easier and when I pulled the old IWEs I realized they’re mostly plastic. The deletes are metal and so far are silent going down the road. Didn’t even notice popping in turns anymore like I did so no more skipping. Even on pavement when I forgot to turn off 4x4 lol
It will make a fine addition to my stack of parts in the garage

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Or be like me and beat on the truck, break it, complain about it because I can’t afford it, buy an upgraded version of what I broke, and whine about having to drive the Bronco while the raptor sits grounded.
I lost that method after tinkering with VW's. Everything's so small and expensive.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes. this is what forums are for. sure it took me longer to do this than just point it out, but a smart ass comment deserves one back. so let me help you so you dont have others jumping on you either. and yes, its ANOTHER 4wd noise with the wheels turned. im sure you can find exactly what you are looking for.View attachment 440680View attachment 440682View attachment 440683View attachment 440684
Well I for one am amazed there's only 30 pages of threads...Google gets 1.9 million hits...
Screenshot 2024-01-17 142033.jpg
@Chevmn56 don't get your ******* in a bunch, it's FRF not DEI :snoopfacepalm:

Side note, also try searching "IWE", the in-wheel engagement system for the front wheels is vacuum operated and a common problem (not as much as say, asking about 37's here...again...), have you checked the lines? Try disconnecting/plugging and see if the problem persists? Or have you already tried that? Your first post doesn't really clarify anything...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Chevmn56 one thing you might check is the 13mm nut under the dust cap on the front hubs, make sure they are snug but don't over tighten. I've read that they can back off.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great answer search it dont bother me with your BS right........did i already search that???? you wouldnt know right
if you did search, reading just a couple of the threads would have given you the answers. but let me go ahead and answer it again.

turning in 4wd and pop/clunk = front axle binding/disengaging

front axle binding causes are....

aftermarket suspension? top perch? water in front diff? vacuume line leak? axle broken? hub broken?

you dont specify how fast you were going, how hard you were turning, fresh snow? packed snow? (there is a difference there. i live in colorado, we have snow) uphill downhill? truck mods? if you want answers, provide specifics since you think this is different than all the other 4wd clunk/pop threads. what remedies have you tried from all the searching you have done? we will help, but need details.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter