Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So with the dust settled..

What about going with a built performance transmission instead? I have one in cart ready to pull trigger. I would love to add the whipple TRX killer package but leaning more towards staying N/A and doing the performance trans with 4.56 gearing.

Trans has billet shafts, billet TC with exedy clutches blah blah tons of goodies with it. Seems this would be a viable option for both. Thoughts?

Yes it is 5 grand so i get it not a cheap upgrade but neither is Whipple for 11k. I have 20k in mods on my “slow antiquated” truck and still love it!
A Gen 1 Raptor is well over 3 tons with everything and everyone in it. I'd prefer to not buy a lot of top-end mods knowing I'll never get that money back, but any mods I'm doing are focused on how those 3 tons handle offroad and improving stopping distance, not how fast it can go.

OP
OP
P

PipeHitter

Reaction score
To wrap up my situation and for any future searches...

Short version: I elected to go with a re-manufactured transmission. Truck shifts like new and all is good.

Long version: I could only find one person in my local area that was willing to rebuild my transmission, and he would not offer any warranty as I'm whippled. So, I called a few shops that specializes in built transmissions (popular shops on this forum) and inquired about either having them rebuild mine, or purchasing a built 6r80. All three basically stated that for my power level, and desired use a built transmission was a waste of money, and shipping them my transmission for rebuild was not cost effective as there are several re-manufactured options in my area. They all suggested to source a local reman with a warranty. So I did.

Turns out the transmission had been out of my truck before. Whoever reinstalled it decided to leave the top two bell housing bolts out, and broke another bolt and elected to simply thread it lightly (only 2-3 threads left on the bolt) rather than replacing it. There where other signs as well, harness not routed correctly, etc. The previous owner was absolutely not scared of spending money, I don't believe for a minute he went the cheap route or shade tree mechanic. Rather, I think some shop performed a sub-par repair and he didn't know. Especially since the transmission failed again.

I did call Whipple to inquire if I could just put in a new transmission, considering they have their tune on the truck. Whipple stated it was not an issue, no tune update needed.

Going with a re-man gave me a 3yr/100k warranty, covers everything to include labor for removal/reinstallation. Installation went smooth with no issues, I programmed the PCM for the solenoid(s) strategy with Forscan, and erased the adaptive tables. As of now, I've put around 250 miles on the new transmission and it shifts great. I plan to change the transmission fluid/filter somewhere around 5k miles. Not sure if I need to, but hoping for cheap insurance. FordTechMakuloco suggests to change at 30k when new, 30k after that, then 60k thereafter. I most likely won't have the truck that long, but then again who knows.

All I can think of for now, any questions/comments feel free to fire away.

SuburbanJake

Reaction score
A Gen 1 Raptor is well over 3 tons with everything and everyone in it. I'd prefer to not buy a lot of top-end mods knowing I'll never get that money back, but any mods I'm doing are focused on how those 3 tons handle offroad and improving stopping distance, not how fast it can go.
Dam straight. Most of the upgrades like 3” shocks, leaf packs, brake kits, hydraulic bump kit and control arms are the bulk of big cash spent on those very aspects. Adds up fast!

SuburbanJake

Reaction score
@SuburbanJake
With all the reseach you have put in which company have you chosen foe the trans?
Man to be honest, a small race shop by the name of PATC in Louisiana not too far from me. Spoke to their tech and feel pretty good about them and their craftsmanship. They say it could be “rated” for up to 700 flywheel hp which is retarded. It shouldn’t see that even if I had a Powerstorm 6.6 and a 2.75 pulley on a Whipple. I know that is all just figures on paper but it would definitely be the last trans I would need. For the money it seems to be.. clutch..

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Turns out the transmission had been out of my truck before. Whoever reinstalled it decided to leave the top two bell housing bolts out, and broke another bolt and elected to simply thread it lightly (only 2-3 threads left on the bolt) rather than replacing it."

Those fu ckers are definitely hard to reach: I had to let the trans droop enough to get the star socket and 6 different drive extensions in there, and bought a fresh set of those silly aluminum bolts.

Attachments

• 20240404_182710.jpg
    20240404_182710.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 5