2017 - transmission replace, brakes, moonroof, door latches - arrived at the fork in the road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m betting the warranty terms permit ‘new or rebuilt’ and will be at Ford’s discretion.
Front left grinding noise - history with IWE and hubs - dealer appled TSB and replaced hub and IWE components. Issue returns every 3-4 months. Also noticed metal to metal grinding which was new and has been confirmed that truck needs new front-end brakes (pads and rotors).

how much embellishment is it to say “issue returns every 3-4 months”? Be honest.
If you’re having repeat service for IWE issues, is it the same component or components failing or different ones; e.g.: left side goes, right side goes, etc. I might consider IWE deletes after >1 repair attempt, but if you’re still under warranty, that might sway my opinion.

I'm definitely a little disappointed in hearing about the transmission but given the history of my particular truck, I'm not surprised. I've been diligent in scheduled maintenance and overall pretty easy on my truck on a daily basis with the summertime surf fishing and occasional soft sand runs on the beach for fun. It's been a love/hate relationship with this truck over the past 7.5yrs of ownership. In 2016, $72K seemed like a steep but worthy price for a what was deemed the pinnacle of high performance off road trucks. It's been a fun truck but it has also been in the shop on a fairly regular basis (2-3x per year) for warranty work such has transmission flashes, IWE, and rather minor annoyances (moonroof, doors, latches, etc.)

Ford is definitely confident...ish about the truck’s reliability with a 5/60k powertrain warranty. The Ford ESP is also a fairly sound idea up to about 125/150k, but you’ll notice the prices jumps huge when it gets into 6 figures. That should give you an idea when they expect to start having to pay out in a losing way. And, it’s not like the bad old days in the ’70’s - ’90’s when you’d likely end up with an abuse/neglect denial of warranty for having mud accumulated on your truck from a job site or a dirt road. Now you can take the truck out and rock climb, break a hard part and still get the part replaced under warranty provided you weren’t doing anything really stupid.

2300 doesn’t sound bad, I paid 500 for brakes done all the way around, no rotors only a couple months back. Normally I would just do brakes but I was rehab’ing from an injury.
Also noticed metal to metal grinding which was new and has been confirmed that truck needs new front-end brakes (pads and rotors).

Have the brakes ever been serviced? Stealership service is pretty diligent about keeping you in bounds with regard to upcoming issues. I get reports on brake life estimate, etc. at each service. FWIW, you shouldn’t let it go longer just because “there are a couple thousand more miles” left. I replaced mine a little on the early side, I think they said I had about 10% left
stopping power was way improved after replacement.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m betting the warranty terms permit ‘new or rebuilt’ and will be at Ford’s discretion.

how much embellishment is it to say “issue returns every 3-4 months”? Be honest.
If you’re having repeat service for IWE issues, is it the same component or components failing or different ones; e.g.: left side goes, right side goes, etc. I might consider IWE deletes after >1 repair attempt, but if you’re still under warranty, that might sway my opinion.
I don't have anything to gain by lying about the IWE issues with this truck. I wish it weren't true. I bought around 5 check valves and have been replacing them every 3-4 months for the past 3 years or more to alleviate the grinding issues with the d-side front end. I'm just one of the lucky ones with this inherent issue. Yes, the extended warranty has been covering me thus far. Ext warranty expires at the end of the year or 100K whichever comes first.

Ford is definitely confident...ish about the truck’s reliability with a 5/60k powertrain warranty. The Ford ESP is also a fairly sound idea up to about 125/150k, but you’ll notice the prices jumps huge when it gets into 6 figures. That should give you an idea when they expect to start having to pay out in a losing way. And, it’s not like the bad old days in the ’70’s - ’90’s when you’d likely end up with an abuse/neglect denial of warranty for having mud accumulated on your truck from a job site or a dirt road. Now you can take the truck out and rock climb, break a hard part and still get the part replaced under warranty provided you weren’t doing anything really stupid.

2300 doesn’t sound bad, I paid 500 for brakes done all the way around, no rotors only a couple months back. Normally I would just do brakes but I was rehab’ing from an injury.
Agree 2300 for the entire job with transmission replacement I think is in-line and probably much cheaper if I didn't have the extended warranty.

Have the brakes ever been serviced? Stealership service is pretty diligent about keeping you in bounds with regard to upcoming issues. I get reports on brake life estimate, etc. at each service. FWIW, you shouldn’t let it go longer just because “there are a couple thousand more miles” left. I replaced mine a little on the early side, I think they said I had about 10% left
stopping power was way improved after replacement.
Dealer replaced the rear brakes a couple of services ago so it was time for sure.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It sounds like IWE deletes would be the path of least resistance. I’ve never heard of anyone having that much, repeated trouble with the IWE system. So, if you got 74k out of the OEM brakes up front... #respect. I got the ‘hey, your brakes are low on pad depth’ warning about 50k miles and I got them replaced straight away - maybe 3 - 4 weeks lag time.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like IWE deletes would be the path of least resistance. I’ve never heard of anyone having that much, repeated trouble with the IWE system. So, if you got 74k out of the OEM brakes up front... #respect. I got the ‘hey, your brakes are low on pad depth’ warning about 50k miles and I got them replaced straight away - maybe 3 - 4 weeks lag time.
Definitely got max life out of the front brakes. Changed the rear brakes last year I believe. I haven't heard of IWE delete until I searched last night and read a little about it. Does that kit put the truck in full-time 4H?

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with my service advisor and he confirmed that the sunroof isn't covered by the extended warranty and is a wear and tear item. Also asked him about the jasper trans and he said Ford approved a new transmission from Dearborn and Jasper was listed in case Ford didn't approve the replacement. The estimate had Jasper on the top line and Ford underneath so Ford was listed as an option but not obvious until I asked the advisor.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.05.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 1.05.41 PM.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 9

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The IWE system is about as basic as it gets. Repeat issues are the result of misdiagnosis it improper repairs. Replacing check valves multiple isn’t going to fix anything, it needs to be properly diagnosed.

How is the dealer replacing the transmission without diagnosis? You can’t road test a vehicle and then conclude that the transmission needs to be replaced. It sounds more like you have a sticking valve in the main control, which only requires removal of the pan to service.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IWE system is about as basic as it gets. Repeat issues are the result of misdiagnosis it improper repairs. Replacing check valves multiple isn’t going to fix anything, it needs to be properly diagnosed.

How is the dealer replacing the transmission without diagnosis? You can’t road test a vehicle and then conclude that the transmission needs to be replaced. It sounds more like you have a sticking valve in the main control, which only requires removal of the pan to service.

Thanks, FTO. I wish I had the answers to your points. I'm at the mercy of my local ford dealer with these IWE issues. My advisor said to me that it's holding vacuum but they will re-check once all the work is done.

With the transmission, the tech took it for a test drive with a laptop to diagnose. They confirmed the trans was shifting hard and my advisor said something about the torque converter not working properly. Given the history I've had with PCM tables being reset only for the harsh shifting to return within 4-5 months, they were able to get a new transmission approved by Ford. I just hope it's an updated version. I'm thankful my extended warranty was able to kick in for that repair.

I am disappointed that my extended warranty wasn't able to cover the moonroof repair ($278). It was before and now it's not. I asked why and he said he ran it through their warranty system and it came back not covered.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.52.17 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.52.17 PM.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the same 8/100 warranty whe purchased my new 2019 SCAB. It is my understanding that covers bumper to bumper.
That was my thought but apparently the moonroof side shade track is a wear/tear item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter