Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have 2017 raptor screw. 145k miles. Have done all service. We do tow a small travel trailer in tow mode.

In normal mode transmission always wants to get in higher gears and stay there and sometimes while braking it won’t downshift quick enough. I can drive in SPORT mode and it’s fine.

I have fordscan app and have reset the tables periodically and done a full release process but that takes time.

Does anyone know if there is a tsb or a ford related reprogram to that normal mode. My transmission has never been right and done all recalls and cam phasers a few times under warranty. I would like truck to last a few more years

Thanks for any help

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I have 2017 raptor screw. 145k miles. Have done all service. We do tow a small travel trailer in tow mode.

In normal mode transmission always wants to get in higher gears and stay there and sometimes while braking it won’t downshift quick enough. I can drive in SPORT mode and it’s fine.

I have fordscan app and have reset the tables periodically and done a full release process but that takes time.

Does anyone know if there is a tsb or a ford related reprogram to that normal mode. My transmission has never been right and done all recalls and cam phasers a few times under warranty. I would like truck to last a few more years

Thanks for any help
the EPA

dbalt

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you buy a Cobb AP, you can flash the transmission. I run the Goosetune TCM flash and it shifts a lot better and doesn't immediately put you into high gear. Highly recommend.

Otherwise, you're sort've stuck unless you run in Sport Mode

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Thanks for any help

I had the EXACT same problem back in 2017. I worked around it with a pedal commander and then got Ford to look at it. 10th gear came on by 42mph, about 1100 rpms. The ONLY way she would downshift is if you floored it and it took what seemed like F O R E V E R to complete the downshift. And, if I was over about 48-ish mph, it wouldn’t downshift at all, no matter how much throttle I gave it. I think if it was in any OD gear at medium speed downshifts were not going to happen.

@FordTechOne has hit this one out of the park, but he’s left something out.

You have to lodge the complaint with the Ford Stealership service department. Make sure you indicate: “I’m having weird, harsh, inconsistent shifts and sometimes it won’t downshift at all”. Optionally, add: “I did some research and I think there’s a fix for this, TSB 18-2079”

Be careful, if there is one thing in this world that an auto mechanic hates, it is a consumer who suggests they’ve already done some troubleshooting and may be on to a fix. ;-)

You have to make sure you articulate the exact TSB problem to the service department. I know this because I asked twice for this to be done. The first time they forgot. The 2nd time, they did “checked vehicle, NPF, most current TCM programming applied”. That can mean they applied the most current programming or that it’s already on there. I knew that wasn’t true.
This time, I scheduled service SPECIFICALLY on ONLY for the TCM update. S/A calls me and interviews me finally. I convince him there really is a shifting problem. They apply TSB 18-2079 and whole different truck.

Immediately after this, go up a hill, even on an interstate at interstate speeds and it will downshift to 9th, or even 8th if under load and up a steep grade, instead of trying to tough it out with 17PSI of boost. It downshifts from overdrive, and I think a little quicker.

My one remaining knock on the programming is this: In normal mode, come to a stop slowly. Take off. ? ? ? Double Ewe. Tee. EFF? it doesn’t downshift from 3rd to 1st, takes off in 3rd, realizes her mistake and downshifts immediately to 2nd and pours on the boost. When I apply the brakes more aggressively, it will downshift to 1st. It also does this if I don’t come to a complete stop.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HMMMM, didn't the OP answer the question himself..... "I can drive around in sport mode and it is fine". Has the OP ever driven in Baja mode, cause that mode pretty much will not shift before 4000 rpm and will not go past 6 th gear.

In other words, drive mode changes a lot of things including transmission operation. "normal" should really be called ECO mode as it is the mode that "should" give the best MPG which involves shifting the transmission to the highest gear as fast as possible. The truck defaults to this mode every key cycle because the .gov wants it that way.

Sport should be called normal as that is how the truck should be all the time. If the throttle response wasn't such garbage in "normal" I wouldn't mind it so much. Other wise my procedure is , start engine, and hit mode down button two times as fast as possible, step on brake and engage transmission and drive away. "Normal" is for suckers.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I think I agree with you and if sport mode is best option then so be it. But it can fall on its face when trying to brake from high speeds and no way that is right. Sometimes feels like the trans is about to shed parts on the pavement

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In other words, drive mode changes a lot of things including transmission operation. "normal" should really be called ECO mode as it is the mode that "should" give the best MPG which involves shifting the transmission to the highest gear as fast as possible. The truck defaults to this mode every key cycle because the .gov wants it that way.

Sport should be called normal as that is how the truck should be all the time. If the throttle response wasn't such garbage in "normal" I wouldn't mind it so much. Other wise my procedure is , start engine, and hit mode down button two times as fast as possible, step on brake and engage transmission and drive away. "Normal" is for suckers.

It defaults to normal eco with auto stop/start because Ford wants it that way in their method of ‘compliance’ with EPA & CAFE. The newer Ford Exploder ST for example has a USABLE normal mode that doesn’t behave like eco. I can get along with Normal with a pedal commander on a reasonable setting. City, City +1 tops. Anything else makes other drive modes more touchy.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
If you buy a Cobb AP, you can flash the transmission. I run the Goosetune TCM flash and it shifts a lot better and doesn't immediately put you into high gear. Highly recommend.

Otherwise, you're sort've stuck unless you run in Sport Mode
I just read about the Cobb deal. How do you switch between the Cobb tunes - does that ap always stay plugged in?