Transmission slip, seems like torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabidranger

Reaction score
Seems like my torque converter (TC) isn't locking up when I first start driving. These last few months once I get out of the neighborhood and up to 55 or so the RPM's float around 1500-2000 in 10th gear as I go up and down hills with the cruise on. Happens on days when I remote start the truck and let it warm up (>5 minutes, and same if I don't, and just start it and head out for work. More skinny pedal just changes gears and makes it harder to tell if the TC is locked or not. I had the trans temp gauge up and it seems to be doing it until the trans warms up a bit, even though it takes almost 20 minutes to get there. it was only 18°F this morning. Has been doing it on ~40°F days too. Sport mode acts odd too. When cruising at 60 in sport mode it would always end up in 10th gear with the cruise control on, now it stays in 7th with the RPM's at about 2k. Figured I'd ask here before taking it to the dealer. 70k miles on the truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TCM won’t lock the torque converter until the transmission reaches operating temperature. Remote starting the truck does not warm up the transmission much at all, as there is no load. If there’s no warning indicators or DTCs it’s likely normal operation.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
it was only 18°F this morning. Has been doing it on ~40°F days too. Sport mode acts odd too. When cruising at 60 in sport mode it would always end up in 10th gear with the cruise control on, now it stays in 7th with the RPM's at about 2k. Figured I'd ask here before taking it to the dealer. 70k miles on the truck.

Move where humans were meant to live ! :cool:

This is working as designed. Sport mode holds the RPMS higher - about 1900 minimum to upshift and about 1800 before downshifting. Ish. Sport mode will also hold gears longer, in an effort to keep the engine in the power band if you are on and off the throttle. 60mph in 7th gear for sport mode is about right. Maybe 8th if you are on completely level ground.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have all your grill shutters? Taking some off for lights could cause a slower trans fluid warm up. 18 is pretty cold though.

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
The TCM won’t lock the torque converter until the transmission reaches operating temperature. Remote starting the truck does not warm up the transmission much at all, as there is no load. If there’s no warning indicators or DTCs it’s likely normal operation.
I don't think it's normal operation. Hasn't done it in the first 69k miles I've owned it when it's been cold out. Guess I'll have the dealer look into it.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When is the last time it has been serviced? I know, I know, it's 100k service interval but mine acts so much better after a good flush and teeth cleaning.

OP
OP
rabidranger

rabidranger

Reaction score
When is the last time it has been serviced? I know, I know, it's 100k service interval but mine acts so much better after a good flush and teeth cleaning.
Service for trans, never. Was thinking of having the filter replaced and flushed soon. Guess I'll bump that up on the priority list.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It really does make a difference to me, real or imaginary it seems to shift smoother at least.
This!!!!! OEM service intervals are NOT in your best interest.