Grinding in the rear at low speed braking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hokiesean24

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with a grinding/crunching sound and feeling coming from the rear end at low speed braking? I just got hit for $400 to resurface my rotors and chamfor the rear pads.

The truck would brake from 60, 80, whatever down to about 15mph with no issues at all. From 15ish down to 0 it would grind/crunch all the way to a complete stop. The harder I broke through the low speeds the worst the grind.

Worst parts, 8 month old truck with 20k miles on it and it wasn't covered under warranty and no gaurantee/warranty that it won't continue to happen because they have NO idea what caused it. I got 'maybe road conditions' and a shrug when I pressed on what the cause was. I was told break issues only carry an 18,000 mile warranty, so I was out of warranty...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never heard of brake pads being chamfered. Resurfacing the rotors is fine as long as they measured them before cutting and used a self-calibrating on-car brake lathe. It sounds like some debris may have got caught between the pads and rotors, causing the noise. Even under 18k miles that’s not covered by warranty.