2019 - Final Gut Check Before Fixing Broken Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then why even bother making LV or dual LV if nobody can tell the difference. Im upset it has 20 less horsepower!

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have decided to go the rebuild route, look into Angry Pumpkin Offroad in Utah. He's a standup guy and has an exchange program. Does a ton of business in Utah and all over the US. He's rebuilt my Bump Stops. He can also help you with SDI e-clik

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was selling it soon, that’s what I would do. But it’s risky to buy someone else’s junk. TSW is in business to make money and they don’t hire the brightest to rebuild shocks all day and replacing parts cuts their margin. If done correctly they could be better than new with a re-valve and fancy oil.
I don’t know if you read my post correctly- I’m saying I’m not bothering w/ the Fox factory adjustable 3.0s @ that price point w/ the mile on my truck & if you can get NEW Fox OEM live valve shocks for around $2200 all 4 corners then I also don’t see why anyone would go the rebuild/swap route because last I checked the cost for that was similar & you’re getting used (albeit rebuilt) shocks, the $$$ you can get for your own used take-offs isn’t going to be any different in fact TSW will buy them from ya regardless or you could sell on eBay.

I plan on keeping my truck a long time i own it, have a toy/hobby car built vette, gonna upgrade wife’s MDX to the new Lexus GX550 this summer (which can take over the tow duties of the Raptor) & then I’m gonna be on the hunt for a lightly used CT5-V Blackwing w/ a manual trans.

I’ll probably swap the shocks @ like 80k miles @ this point

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy a set of new and swap. Dont bother trying to sell and then you got a set of spares. in the future either send in the originals to get rebuilt or buy new again depending on the prices

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people who are surprised when they replace or rebuild when they dont think there was anything wrong

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they aren't leaking and they are still damping the springs, there's nothing wrong with them. A higher damping rate from a new shocks vs a well used shock may be noticable, but is the ride or handling truly any better?

Versus a totally blown out shock, sure- but vs one that has no issues and still dampens the wheel effectly- meh, I'll keep my $1500 for awhile longer.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they aren't leaking and they are still damping the springs, there's nothing wrong with them. A higher damping rate from a new shocks vs a well used shock may be noticable, but is the ride or handling truly any better?

Versus a totally blown out shock, sure- but vs one that has no issues and still dampens the wheel effectly- meh, I'll keep my $1500 for awhile longer.
What are you talking about. The piston can be worn and disks or valves broke, contaminated oil. They don’t have to leak to be bad.

OP
OP
B

Basil S2K

Reaction score
Thanks all for posts... been on the road for a while will look into all of these and post when I get my shox rebuilt.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've run the truck in any type of off road, yes. If youve run the truck on road, yes. Do you own the Ford GT in your picture?