What would you do? Low MPG on new to me Gen 2.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relic217

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 2 months in and 2,000 miles into my ownership of my 2019 SCREW. I've left it in normal mode 90% of the time and have been driving like a granny to get a baseline on MPG. I am coming up just under 14 MPG running 91 with 60/40 highway/street.
I am 98% sure I don't have the cam phaser issue (I also don't know if anything has been done for it) and the sound I hear for a bit at startup and at low gear shifts is the turbo gate rattle. I am going to add the springs to get rid of that noise to be sure it's them.
I have 7 months left on my powertrain warranty.

Is there anything you would do? I am more than sure if I bring it to the dealer and tell I feel like my MPG is low they won't do anything. I know I didn't buy this for good MPG, but I feel under 14 is low.
Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
R

relic217

Reaction score
I manually calculated the MPG.
Current mileage is 49760.
New BG KO2s.
No suspension changes or tunes as well, it's totally stock.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with low mpg.

What size tires do you have? As stated, look at your spark plugs and air filter. No one gets a Raptor for gas mileage. With that said, I get around 10 mpg on my Gen 2 with 37s.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
+1. pics, or it’s a prius.

what psi in the tires? Verified, not just what shows on the TPMS monitor.

at factory 38 all around, you can pull into the upper teens, or even 20 IF your speeds are 60mph or under. Over 65mph, and the economy will plummet. High 70’s and I saw 13.8 on the highway. in OBX / island time, I got 20.5, including a few days in beach sand.

so YMMV...

OP
OP
R

relic217

Reaction score
My tires 35s.
I wasn't able to get a service history from the dealers on the carfax, but I do see if was there at regular service intervals.

Starting with the air filter and spark plugs sounds like a good first step; I'll take a look at them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter