Any of you Gen 2 owners also have an Explorer ST / ST-line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daytona1783

Reaction score
I've been looking at an Explorer ST for the family, didn't know if you guys had any experience with them. I went and drove one last night and it was nice...just didn't know how they are holding up. I've also looked at the ST-line, which was very nice as well but has the smaller ecoboost engine. Any ownership experience or input is appreciated, good or bad.

I went to look for info on the explorer forums but they are a ghost town...definitely not as active as this forum.

Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That ‘smaller ecoboost’ is 400hp. Have you driven one yet?
I x shopped this but ended up with a Lincoln for the wife - same 400hp engine. The ST would have been a better choice in a lot of ways, the traction control in the Lincoln gets a LOT of work. That engine just over powers the tires, AWD be damned.

I’d consider one if I were looking for another SUV, it seemed like a solid choice when I test drove.

OP
OP
D

daytona1783

Reaction score
Yes, I drove both last night. I didn’t mind the smaller 2.3 Ecoboost. I was impressed. The ST was very stiff but was a rocket ship…it’s a SUV that can get you into trouble. For comfort, I’d prob go with the smaller ST-Line 2.3 Ecoboost because the suspension was responsive, but not harsh.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought two Explorer ST’s. Ordered one for my mom in 2021 and we liked it so much I bought the Wife a 2022 and it’s been great! Only thing I would say is it seems to have a bit more road noise than I want on longer trips so I’m getting ready to pull the interior and sound deaden it. Other than that it’s a great ride.