2019 - Final Gut Check Before Fixing Broken Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If the shock dampens the spring motion, the system works. If the spring keeps boing-boing-boinging after a bump, you replace the shocks. You can see that, and feel that.

I do mostly agree about the “hard and fast” guidance to rebuild or replace the shocks at 50k miles. That said, I would point out:

How do springs wear out?
How does the shock oil wear out?

And yes, I agree use case has an effect on how fast you get to “worn out” but just because you baby the truck doesn’t mean the assembly isn’t moving enough to fatigue.
As you point out, the wheel/tire combo is 100 pounds-ish and the truck is 3 tons.

I’m not outright disagreeing with you here, but I would point out that unless you’re comparing your truck to another truck that has just gotten new shocks, you really don’t know for sure that you’re feeling the symptoms of worn shocks. You can be lulled into a false sense of security on whether the truck is riding right or not if you don’t have a comparison vehicle.

Your truck may well be fine, but it could also have some signs of shock fatigue that are subtle or onset very subtly over time and you’ve gotten acclimated to them.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do mostly agree about the “hard and fast” guidance to rebuild or replace the shocks at 50k miles. That said, I would point out:

How do springs wear out?

And yes, I agree use case has an effect on how fast you get to “worn out” but just because you baby the truck doesn’t mean the assembly isn’t moving enough to fatigue.
As you point out, the wheel/tire combo is 100 pounds-ish and the truck is 3 tons.

I’m not outright disagreeing with you here, but I would point out that unless you’re comparing your truck to another truck that has just gotten new shocks, you really don’t know for sure that you’re feeling the symptoms of worn shocks. You can be lulled into a false sense of security on whether the truck is riding right or not if you don’t have a comparison vehicle.

Your truck may well be fine, but it could also have some signs of shock fatigue that are subtle or onset very subtly over time and you’ve gotten acclimated to them.
As you stated, the use case is important here. Few need new factory performance. True racers rebuild each big race not only for performance but also reliability. Most of the raptors never leave the ground and probably never get bottomed out so run to failure is common.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How do springs wear out?

This is a fantastic reponse

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has 69k miles now…original shocks, they do seem to still perform just fine & ride is comfortable & I have test driven new gen3’s not too long ago so I have same frame of reference & haven’t “forgotten” what these raptors should ride like

And for the price? Im definitely NOT rebuilding em im just gonna buy new OEM live valves & sell the originals to the highest bidder. There would only be a few hundred bucks difference from having rebuilt w/ core swap

pavendort

Reaction score
My truck has 69k miles now…original shocks, they do seem to still perform just fine & ride is comfortable & I have test driven new gen3’s not too long ago so I have same frame of reference & haven’t “forgotten” what these raptors should ride like

And for the price? Im definitely NOT rebuilding em im just gonna buy new OEM live valves & sell the originals to the highest bidder. There would only be a few hundred bucks difference from having rebuilt w/ core swap
At 80K I felt like mine were still great. Great ride, handled off road well. After the rebuild though? Damn. Mine were worn... I certainly had forgotten what it should feel like.

Last edited:

raptor_tecate

Reaction score

Where are you guys buying the OEM LV shocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter