New Deavers or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have tried to keep her fresh. She has 118k on her now. New motor and new suspension parts and new life.
What fluid film you use?
Fluid film just comes in the red spray can up here. I spray it on all the frame and suspension parts since day one almost. Just the rear springs and my 10 year old “outlaw off-road” bump stop frame is surface rusted.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have drove mine hard a few times and have hauled a couple hundred pounds of gear from time to time. Including a few times in the air with that gear in the back. Also dragging a trailer but thats only for 10-15 miles a couple times a month.
Before the Fox 3.0s I have SVC CAS with stock shocks in the front and had a good bit of preloaded with the +3 Deavers but when I went to the Fox 3.0s I def had way less preload then I thought I would. Just seems to be sagging more and more over time. Have had the Deavers on since 2018ish.
if the new springs sag again in the same timeframe as the last, id say your doing just fine. really 2k every 3 years isnt bad.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
springs wear out and need to be replaced get regular +4 they’ll be a bit high and then they sag later

flynford

Reaction score
Anyone had an issue with Deaver +3SD sagging over time? Have about 75k on them. I have Fox coilovers in the front and very little preload and I feel like I'm right at level now or maybe a bit nose up but close. I have a single 37 mounted flat in bed now.
I'll be adding a SDHQ tire carrier and 2 spares here soon and do carry some additional weight from time to time for camping and other trips. Was thinking of just swapping out to some Deaver +4 with some KHC +1" shackles for a half inch drop. Then level it out with my coilovers in the front. Thoughts?
All springs settle, even OEM, but lots of folks in my opinion get hung up on the stance (rear-end up/down in relation to the front). Frankly, I dislike rear-up being higher, ok to be a smidge higher or level. However, it comes down to what you do with the truck and how much time/mileage. The core question I ask and/or focus on is are you bottoming out ever, sometimes, a lot, or all the time. Obviously, want to be level or little below level if towing, but again whether towing, offroading, or heck even pavement driving are you bottoming out? Believe me, on my Jeep, I've had Jeep coils settle and weaken to where I'd bottom out over rail road tracks or transistions from tarmac to concrete when driving over freeway overpasses where there are often raised lips/curbs where at 65mphs an hour I'd hit bump stops. Not fun.

So this is purely your personal tastes at play here. To get a spring that will never settle is almost not possible; however, possible with such a stiff spring that you'd would never want to drive it. Even those overly stiff springs will settle with nominal use or sitting on the vehicle's own weight. Obviously, the more the springs cycle the settling effect accelerates. So figure out how much weight you carry on average or will ever carry (Max). Trick is to find a happy balance because not all of us leave 500-800lbs of weight 100%.

My rules of thumb to determine which springs to go with are:
- Determine the weight you been carrying: average & max
- Unloaded height (Stock, +1, +2, etc.)
- Duty cycle (time) of the above 'max' noted above: Is that max weight 100%, 50%, or etc.
- If 50 or 100% the consider going HD version of said height
- Then factor the above three items on how much settling you'd tolerate
- If your OCD will cause you sleepless nights then factor in one or two inches higher(if 50-100% of weight range the same for HD); so that, after settling you'll be right where you want to be

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Springs are a wear item so with your use and mileage, it makes sense that they're starting to sag, especially being non-HD.

With a bed rack, two tires, and gear, you're going to want to go with the HD spring rate this time around. I'd recommend doing Deaver +4s (which are HD by default). Grab some drop shackles to drop the rear and then fine tune the coilovers like you said. You'll be set at that point.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All springs settle, even OEM, but lots of folks in my opinion get hung up on the stance (rear-end up/down in relation to the front). Frankly, I dislike rear-up being higher, ok to be a smidge higher or level. However, it comes down to what you do with the truck and how much time/mileage. The core question I ask and/or focus on is are you bottoming out ever, sometimes, a lot, or all the time. Obviously, want to be level or little below level if towing, but again whether towing, offroading, or heck even pavement driving are you bottoming out? Believe me, on my Jeep, I've had Jeep coils settle and weaken to where I'd bottom out over rail road tracks or transistions from tarmac to concrete when driving over freeway overpasses where there are often raised lips/curbs where at 65mphs an hour I'd hit bump stops. Not fun.

So this is purely your personal tastes at play here. To get a spring that will never settle is almost not possible; however, possible with such a stiff spring that you'd would never want to drive it. Even those overly stiff springs will settle with nominal use or sitting on the vehicle's own weight. Obviously, the more the springs cycle the settling effect accelerates. So figure out how much weight you carry on average or will ever carry (Max). Trick is to find a happy balance because not all of us leave 500-800lbs of weight 100%.

My rules of thumb to determine which springs to go with are:
- Determine the weight you been carrying: average & max
- Unloaded height (Stock, +1, +2, etc.)
- Duty cycle (time) of the above 'max' noted above: Is that max weight 100%, 50%, or etc.
- If 50 or 100% the consider going HD version of said height
- Then factor the above three items on how much settling you'd tolerate
- If your OCD will cause you sleepless nights then factor in one or two inches higher(if 50-100% of weight range the same for HD); so that, after settling you'll be right where you want to be
I'm smell what your steeping in. Thanks for the input. I will be adding 1 more 37 and wheel and then the tire carrier so wasn't sure if that was going to enough weight to justify getting HD. I love the ride of my current +3 I knew they would settle/sag over time but didn't know if it would be more and how much more with the added weight full time. Im not to concerned with the towing or the gear I carry as its is not all the time.
I do like to use my truck and try to hit some dirt with some speed a few times a month. And I do use them SVC/ Fox bumps in the back. I think with my end goal I think the +4 with the 1/2" drop shackle i will be perfect.
Appreciate the help!
Also your a jeep guy too. I really don't think we can be friends. Haha

Attachments

• 20190910_150022.jpg
    20190910_150022.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs are a wear item so with your use and mileage, it makes sense that they're starting to sag, especially being non-HD.

With a bed rack, two tires, and gear, you're going to want to go with the HD spring rate this time around. I'd recommend doing Deaver +4s (which are HD by default). Grab some drop shackles to drop the rear and then fine tune the coilovers like you said. You'll be set at that point.
Nick! Thanks for chiming in. I didnt know the +4 were an HD by default. Thanks! I think your right and what ill plan on doing. Really appreciate your help.
Do yall carry both Deavers and KHC? If so could you PM me a price on some +4s and some +1 shackles.
Thanks!