Deavers or Icon's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...or you can use same said sawzall to cut off the excess threads as we used to on race cars. Splash of your choice for corrosion mitigation and done. If the difference in protruding height of bolt head vs nut is an issue you probably have bigger problems.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...or you can use same said sawzall to cut off the excess threads as we used to on race cars. Splash of your choice for corrosion mitigation and done. If the difference in protruding height of bolt head vs nut is an issue you probably have bigger problems.
It is more of a liability issue for me since I own a shop.

The factory bolt is long, with some what of a pointed end, which makes it easier to install from a production stand point. That point also poses a much higher risk of penetrating the fuel tank in a side impact crash. The bolt head is much less likely to do this.

If I was in any of your guys position as a DYIer I would definitely install the bolt backwards.

I wasn't knocking anyone, I was stating the reason the bolt is installed the way it is from the factory. And why I pretty much have to install it the same way.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is more of a liability issue for me since I own a shop.

The factory bolt is long, with some what of a pointed end, which makes it easier to install from a production stand point. That point also poses a much higher risk of penetrating the fuel tank in a side impact crash. The bolt head is much less likely to do this.

If I was in any of your guys position as a DYIer I would definitely install the bolt backwards.

I wasn't knocking anyone, I was stating the reason the bolt is installed the way it is from the factory. And why I pretty much have to install it the same way.
I get you... Sometimes such things do not occur to DIY'ers

phill0027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deavers 100%, I have had zero issues with mine and install tech made comment how easily they installed.

Kaled

Reaction score
I have the Icon's and they work great on option 1. On option 2 they do not ride well when the truck is empty; I had them on option 2 for about 2 weeks and put them back to option 1. Makes me wonder if the HD deavers ride better than the Icons with how many guys run the HD deavers with no complaints.

I saw it mentioned that the Icon's have less droop travel, but this is only a concern if you're running a different shock. With the factory shock, the leafs don't limit droop.
I see , I have the RXT shocks on the rear but have deavers and RPG bumstops as a previous setup .is it required to change to the icons springs and get their bumstops as well ? Or the deavers would net me the same travels as the icons springs with the RXT shocks ?