Deavers or Icon's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Johan

Johan

Reaction score
Ok, I got a better quote through a friend of mine, $400.
Springs just showed up, they be heavy.
Question, what paint would you recommend to coat them with? They look to have a coating on them already but I read that most people coat them, thanks.

xjjosh

Reaction score
I installed my ICON's by myself. A few hours in the garage with some breaks and playing with the kiddos. Get good sawzall metal blades. Those bolts eat the cheap ones and a cutoff wheel won't be able to reach the bolt unless it is a large size wheel. Honestly, for me the biggest pain was torquing all of the bolts. Exhausting! Especially the U-bolt ones. They seemed like they would never torque.

Overall, easy install. No need to remove tank or exhaust. I just removed wheels, e-brake bracket, shocks and springs. One side at a time. FWIW, Icon sends 2 new bolts. One for each side front leaf spring eye. Driver's side hits fuel tank, passenger side hits exhaust.

OP
OP
Johan

Johan

Reaction score
Got mine installed, my buddies shop did it for $360, only took them a few hours. I do have to say, very impressed with the ride, only slightly stiffer than stock but much more stable especially during hard acceleration, does not feel like it wants to fishtail anymore. Overall satisfied, thank you for all the input.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got mine installed, my buddies shop did it for $360, only took them a few hours. I do have to say, very impressed with the ride, only slightly stiffer than stock but much more stable especially during hard acceleration, does not feel like it wants to fishtail anymore. Overall satisfied, thank you for all the input.
Which springs did you go with?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You do not have to drop the fuel tank. You can use a Sawzall to cut off the bolt on the driver's side between the leaf spring and fuel tank. Then install it from the outside when you put it back in. Deaver includes an extra bolt for this purpose. Saves you a lot of time.

Same for Icon, bolt included. THAT is why I knew that they had never done one before. Dropping tank is unnecessary.
The factory bolt is installed the way it is so that in the case of an accident the bolt end doesn't puncture the fuel tank.

As a DYIer the choice to cut the bolt is up to you.

As a professional I will drop the tank on my truck (takes 20 minutes with proper equipment) and any customers vehicle.