Which Deavers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OICNW-Rob

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which Deavers would best match my current needs?

I have a stock suspension 2020 and a 2023 Apex Nano 208BHS travel trailer with a GVWR of 6000lbs. Hitch weight is advertised as 596lbs. I am running a weight distribution hitch.

With the trailer loaded up and family in the truck, I am very close to max payload. Even with the weight distribution hitch, there is still bit of sag.

What leaf spring set up would you guys suggest I run? I don't want to the rear to be higher when unloaded and I don't want to sacrifice how the truck rides/handles offroad when not towing.

Thanks.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What leaf spring set up would you guys suggest I run? I don't want to the rear to be higher when unloaded and I don't want to sacrifice how the truck rides/handles offroad when not towing.
Your two use cases conflict with each other. Stiff springs are good for towing, not so good off road. When you load a spring, it flexes. To be the same height unloaded but tow better, it has to be stiffer. A lot stiffer. If you're willing to accept another inch of rake, the tradeoff won't be quite so difficult in that you can use softer springs. You might give Deaver a call, describe your situation, and ask their advice.

Johnny@Hammerbuilt

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ive ran both Icon on stage 2 and deaver +3HD. Both do fine. Both handled about 450lbs of static weight in the bed full time. i towed a 6000lb trailer once with my Icons on stage 2 and honestly even with better leafs, raptors tow like shit.

But you wouldnt be disappointed with either.

Heinz

Reaction score
Ive ran both Icon on stage 2 and deaver +3HD. Both do fine. Both handled about 450lbs of static weight in the bed full time. i towed a 6000lb trailer once with my Icons on stage 2 and honestly even with better leafs, raptors tow like shit.

But you wouldnt be disappointed with either.
How much higher over stock did the +3HD’s sit when you had the 450lbs weight in the bed? I’m deciding between +2HD or +3HD. I’d be fine with 1 inch over stock which I know the +3’s are supposed to be, but I’m worried it would be taller in reality. Have to fit into my garage with a cap on…

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How much higher over stock did the +3HD’s sit when you had the 450lbs weight in the bed? I’m deciding between +2HD or +3HD. I’d be fine with 1 inch over stock which I know the +3’s are supposed to be, but I’m worried it would be taller in reality. Have to fit into my garage with a cap on…
Icon springs use height to account for weight. As you add weight, they go down and as you remove weight, they go up. Deaver on the other hand uses different spring rates to account for the added weight. So a +3SD and a +3HD will both lift the truck 1" over stock. However, the HD will have the added 450lb capacity before it starts to drop. Keep in mind that this is when they're new and that leaf springs, like all suspension parts, are a wear item. The harder you are on the truck, the more they will lose height over time, that's the nature of the beast. If you're concerned that you will not be high enough and will be sagging with your cap, I'd recommend the +4HD, this will give you 2" over stock +450lb capacity. And if you find that this is too much lift, you can use various drop shackles to lower the rear of the truck in 1/2" increments to dial it to your exact needs.

We carry Deaver here at Apollo Optics, happy to help!

Johnny@Hammerbuilt

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe an inch? With the 450lb in the bed I was same height as a stock gen 2