GEN 2 Geiser springs and shock travel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Truck:
Got myself a used screw 2020 raptor with stock wheels and tires.

Purpose:
I mainly drive the truck in the sandy desert dunes. Speed driving and dunes climbing.

Experience:
My first drive in the desert was awful. Bouncy , bucking, and front hits hard. Rear tires rubbing wheel well. Wheel hop even on sand lol. I was truly disappointed at the performance . I didn't expect much but didn't think it would be this bad.

Changes Made:
I decided to rebuild the shocks, Geiser 2.5 springs up front and Deavers 3+ HD in the back. Yes, I hated that I had to spend this much so soon. Since the shocks were the main decider between going 17-18 to 19-20. Now I feel I should have spent less on a slightly older model and spent the money on upgrading the shocks. Too late.

Experience On Road:
Like many have reported, truck feel planted, less nose dive while braking. I honestly would say maybe 20% - 30% firmer nothing annoying. I am used to slightly firm rides. Truck looked leveled even with aound .60 inch lower on the front.

Experience off road:
Definitely better over all. Soacks hits up front , not bouncy in the back. No rubbing in front or back on crazy articulations.

However, and this is the reason I wrote this post, the minute the nose lifts up, I get this thud noise in the front. In the desert or small spped bumps. Super annoying and feels something is wrong or loose. I looked up the forum with few similar experiences and without real solution. I took it back to the shop to ensure everything is tight and lower shock bolt is tightened as spec. Everything looked good.

I asked to check shock travel when the car lifted (fully extensed and when on the ground. He didn't give me exact measures but said the travel is 2 inches !! I was shocked that it made me forgot to ask exact numbers. So it seems with the lift of 2.5 up front , the front shocks are maxing out. Especially at the rate of the progressive shocks rebound speed. I couldn't find oem data on these shocks (extended, compressed length ans travel to calculate l)

The ask:
This forum has amazing people and thought of seeking help and advice (ie change front shocks only, change this one magical thing and you will get more droop lol ).

Thank you

OP
OP
B

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
Update:

I went offroading today and really pushed the truck. It seems the thud noise I was hearing got a lot less. It is no longer jerky like before. I still feel a bit of limitation. It also feels the front springs settled in.

But those 2 upgrades made a huge difference offroad.

I'm attaching few images of the UCA. Looks likes a stretch to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_153936471.jpg
    PXL_20240217_153936471.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240217_153911252.jpg
    PXL_20240217_153911252.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240217_153844374.jpg
    PXL_20240217_153844374.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my geiser springs used and didn’t experience any off the ill effects you mention, probably because they’d already settled. I put some more miles on before changing anything else. Maybe it’s a live valve thing, I’ve got a 2018.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bu3askoor

Reaction score
Because of the amount of offroading I do, I went ahead and ordered the limit straps. I sure don't want to spend rebuilding the shocks. Let's see.

Geiser wrote back saying it should go with time. @BBR exactly what you said

Desert Mac

Reaction score
Gen2, I just upgraded to Geiser +2.5 from Stock. With RPG top hat. Noticed the topping out fairly quickly. Did 50 miles of dirt pushing it. The springs did settle a little, but when the wheel unloads it fully max's out shock length. Very noticeable over speed bumps, when all else is calm. Off road they are noticeably stiffer, and take bigger hits like you would expect. Everything seems to work fine in rough stuff at speed, until you fully unload the front. While the lift is definitely there, I am wondering about CV angles and increased problems in future. I will drive it some more then possibly look at Eibach. Edited to better explain what is happening by peterb

Last edited:

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
top out is actually the term for the shock fully extending, extension clunck damages the shocks and possibly the shock tower (there’s other threads) besides the damage having only a few inches of droop isn’t really a good suspension setup, fox only recommends raising the truck an inch, imo any more than two inches reduces droop too much and like Desert Mac says changes axel and steering rod angles risking premature wear and bump steer