Rear up travel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtbike62

Reaction score
This is a thing of beauty. I really like this idea as more uptravel is always better! How much negative arch are you at? I feel like I remember deaver saying up to -2" was fine? How long is your shackle? Maybe a longer shackle could help make it less negative if its to bad, then again it may not be an issue at all

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only desert trucks I've seen with 20+" of (usable) travel; using leaf springs, were SUA-style. They were in a class that mandated leafs, and at that range the shock needed to be valved to be both dampener AND swaybar, especially at highway speeds. Axle Plunge became a serious issue; so they had custom splined axle parts & adjustable limit straps...

If you are concerned with load capacity for occasional hauling I'd say at least consider using airbags/onboard compressor system, and research what's already been done. I bet that compressor would pay for itself the first time you need to air down.

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read through this on BLGT.
Love the plates for the frame you made, I'm gonna try to do something similar when I get off my ass and throw shocks through my bed.
Did you get your IBPs up front? Bitchin truck man

OP
OP
2012SCSVT

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
This is a thing of beauty. I really like this idea as more uptravel is always better! How much negative arch are you at? I feel like I remember deaver saying up to -2" was fine? How long is your shackle? Maybe a longer shackle could help make it less negative if its to bad, then again it may not be an issue at all
I am not sure on the measurements... I should measure that. As far as longer shackles go... I am experimenting as a matter of fact! I got some 8.5" ones (just experimenting)
20240114_161457.jpg

The only desert trucks I've seen with 20+" of (usable) travel; using leaf springs, were SUA-style. They were in a class that mandated leafs, and at that range the shock needed to be valved to be both dampener AND swaybar, especially at highway speeds. Axle Plunge became a serious issue; so they had custom splined axle parts & adjustable limit straps...

If you are concerned with load capacity for occasional hauling I'd say at least consider using airbags/onboard compressor system, and research what's already been done. I bet that compressor would pay for itself the first time you need to air down.
I am thinking I will have 19", for one the bump will be .5" lower with the pads reinstalled on the bump stops and with the straps installed thats a -1". I *feel* like im safe as there are sprung under set ups that people notch the frame for.

I have had some thoughts on towing, but not ready to figure it out yet.

This is the full bump and droop axle:
20240112_112613.jpg
20240112_105452.jpg20240112_105438.jpg
Edit nvrmind that's all droop I guess I havet got any at bump.
Read through this on BLGT.
Love the plates for the frame you made, I'm gonna try to do something similar when I get off my ass and throw shocks through my bed.
Did you get your IBPs up front? Bitchin truck man
BLGT is the best! The front stuff is all still waiting for this "easy" rear stuff to be done...
Pending Front stuff:
20240117_180401.jpg

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BLGT is the best! The front stuff is all still waiting for this "easy" rear stuff to be done...
Pending Front stuff:
View attachment 440730
Hell yeah! Looks awesome. Are the King IBPs easily tuned? If I'm remembering correctly they have a needle that indexes into the shaft or something?

OP
OP
2012SCSVT

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Looks awesome. Are the King IBPs easily tuned? If I'm remembering correctly they have a needle that indexes into the shaft or something?
They are not easy to tune. These have a baseline tune from the shop that was their best guess. Then I have one free tune, to get it closer... then it's on me. I've never had these before but I am looking forward to working on them.

But that will be later first I have to figure out how leaf springs work.

Screenshot_20240117_194756_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240117_194808_Gallery.jpg

Dirtbike62

Reaction score
Super excited to see what you come up with on your negative arch numbers and what shackle you end up with. Planning on a similar setup trying to keep a 3.0x14 bypass under the bed just having less droop

OP
OP
2012SCSVT

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Got a few more data points,

Axle Plunge looks good to me, but I've never actually pulled the axle out to see what im working with:

This is with the rear end at what I measured as "stock bump" :
1000004392.jpg

This is at the new full bump:
1000004395.jpg

Axle to frame clearance:
1000004396.jpg

Deaver negitive arch with a 8.5" shackle, I'm not going to measure with the 6" shackle but the arch was much more with that one.
"Flat":1000004391.jpg

Full bump 1000004393.jpg

Edit 2.75 negitive arch with this set up. S32HD springs

OP
OP
2012SCSVT

2012SCSVT

Reaction score
Well. It rained all day so the fab work stopped, how ever I did get a few things going.

Installing leafs in the rain is not ideal:
1000004403.jpg

Then got it moved to the garage, pretty loud with open pipes
1000004407.jpg
1000004408.jpg

And got some of the welding done, but I wanted to add a few tubes fornthe bump support. maybe next weekend I can get to it.
So far here is the base structure that I will be building reinforcements off of :

Oh also it rained on my thing to weld so everything is soaked in wd40 right now.
1000004413.jpg

TBC...