Toyota TRD scathing review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a Toyota fanboy but I had a FJ Cruiser for 11 yrs that got wheeled relatively hard and had no issues and always like the Tacoma but found it highly overpriced. I actually like the looks of the new Tundra and Sequoia and was considering a Sequoia as a replacement for wifey's Volvo. I read a similar very poor review about that vehicle and it appears the Tundra shares the same issues - noisy, poor ride quality. I hope they fix the issues with a future facelift because I agree with one of the other posters here, tough competition is good for us consumers. Toyota tends to have long lifecycles between product changes so I expect it to get better but this is a pretty big fail for them.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Former Toyota fanboy here. The new Gen Tundra was the reason I own a Raptor. While I enjoyed my previous tundra and tacomas, the tech is just so archaic I could never go back. My 2021 37 pack is my first Ford and first Raptor. I love it. Not a lot of complaints so far in my first year. The tranny is a little annoying, but I overlook it. Toyota had a golden opportunity to combine what the big 3 do right and make the perfect 1/2 ton. They failed. Miserably

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a Toyota fanboy but I had a FJ Cruiser for 11 yrs that got wheeled relatively hard and had no issues and always like the Tacoma but found it highly overpriced. I actually like the looks of the new Tundra and Sequoia and was considering a Sequoia as a replacement for wifey's Volvo. I read a similar very poor review about that vehicle and it appears the Tundra shares the same issues - noisy, poor ride quality. I hope they fix the issues with a future facelift because I agree with one of the other posters here, tough competition is good for us consumers. Toyota tends to have long lifecycles between product changes so I expect it to get better but this is a pretty big fail for them.
A facelift won’t fix the inherent cost cutting issues. They went back to a solid rear axle, which gives it worst in class 3rd row room and cargo volume. What’s the point of a 3 row full size SUV if the 3rd row can only accommodate children and the cargo area is no larger than a midsize SUV?

They went with a NiMh battery for the Hybrid models, which is 25 year old technology. It’s cheaper than a Lithium Ion battery, but has lower energy density and a shorter lifespan.

They also don’t offer Full-Time 4WD. They claim their customers “don’t want it”, which is ridiculous. It’s simply a way for them to maximize profits by using a cheaper system.

The bottom line is there is no reason to even consider the Tundra of Sequoia. They’re overpriced, poorly engineered, and worst in class in every regard. If you’re looking for a full size SUV, you can’t go wrong with an Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, or Wagoneer.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tundra was a $76K piece of hot garbage. Sold it after 4 months of ownership and haven't looked back, at all. Fit and finish was mediocre at best, and technology was lacking. I live in a place where 4A is used 4-5 months out of the year, and only having 4H or 4L was unacceptable. 2022 Capstone for reference.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A facelift won’t fix the inherent cost cutting issues. They went back to a solid rear axle, which gives it worst in class 3rd row room and cargo volume. What’s the point of a 3 row full size SUV if the 3rd row can only accommodate children and the cargo area is no larger than a midsize SUV?

They went with a NiMh battery for the Hybrid models, which is 25 year old technology. It’s cheaper than a Lithium Ion battery, but has lower energy density and a shorter lifespan.

They also don’t offer Full-Time 4WD. They claim their customers “don’t want it”, which is ridiculous. It’s simply a way for them to maximize profits by using a cheaper system.

The bottom line is there is no reason to even consider the Tundra of Sequoia. They’re overpriced, poorly engineered, and worst in class in every regard. If you’re looking for a full size SUV, you can’t go wrong with an Expedition, Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon, or Wagoneer.
Agree with your assessment of the Tundra and Sequoia, but we love our 2021 Land Cruiser and 2011 TT FJ. Both have been extremely solid. This is our 3rd LC 200 and they have not had one issue between the 3 of them.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I got to be honest I expected more from Toyota. It isn’t like they are in the dark and don’t see the competition. How do you not step your game up? I didn’t really like the last Gen Tundras and I hate these even worse.

GT4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with your assessment of the Tundra and Sequoia, but we love our 2021 Land Cruiser and 2011 TT FJ. Both have been extremely solid. This is our 3rd LC 200 and they have not had one issue between the 3 of them.
LC200's are in a different league of vehicle imo. They represent what Toyota can do with no budget constraints and their best quality.

My wife's LC200 has remained rock solid and will be kept in the garage forever unless some extenuating circumstances necessitate it being sold off. I'll keep it as a backup vehicle when she's finally ready to drive something else.