Motortrend 2023 Raptor R Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Impressive! Faster than the TRX as well to settle that debate. Nice work by Ford Performance.

Wait it only has 700HP as compared to the TRX’s 702HP. Ford did not beat it HP wise, so how can it be faster? Now Ford worked more TQ into the engine, but how can that matter. Weight difference? What’s a few hundred pounds here and there. The TRX folks still sleep good as they still have 2 more HP :D

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Except for:
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Availability
- Price (think ADM's here)
They stopped the heated steering wheel on the Gen 3’s? Chip shortage? True the TRX is more readily available and with a discount. Well until Stellantis axes it.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
They stopped the heated steering wheel on the Gen 3’s? Chip shortage? True the TRX is more readily available and with a discount. Well until Stellantis axes it.
Thats correct. Somebody also posted a pic of their new 3rd Gen with larger climate control hard buttons that eliminated the heated steering wheel button.

I personally think the TRX is done after 2024. The real question is how long does the R get built, and how many does Ford build?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I personally think the TRX is done after 2024. The real question is how long does the R get built, and how many does Ford build?

One month after TRX production ceases, the last R will roll off the line. Ford never wanted to build the Raptor R, Dodge forced their hand.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One month after TRX production ceases, the last R will roll off the line. Ford never wanted to build the Raptor R, Dodge forced their hand.
Heck, Ford's own team didn't want to build the Raptor to begin with when they were doing R&D because they they thought "no one wants to buy a truck like this"... LOL!

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad that I have zero trouble believing this ...
My coworker/mentor has a friend (Larry) that use to own 100 acres in Ocotillo Wells, CA (recently retired) where Ford and suspension companies such as Bilstein would do their testing. He had guests suites setup so engineers and such could stay on the property for weeks on ends. To give you an idea, Ocotillo Wells is 85,000 acres of open land (Some of it BLM) and is where everyone goes to off-road their vehicle here in Southern California. The reason why these manufactures tested on his property is because no one could see what was going on his private land.

Well, my coworker would help Larry cater these guys as it usually takes a team to cook, clean, provide information about the land and etc. Well early on in the developing stages, the Ford marketing team and some engineers were against the SVT engineers on manufacturing the "Raptor". They said it was overpriced, does not fit the consumer demands and so on. Booyyyyy were they wrong haha.