Toyota TRD scathing review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried coaxing her into trading it in for a RSQ8 not long ago - the glares I got... Bear in mind I had to convince her to buy the LC when we initially picked it up.

Miles on the LC shouldn't matter, that V8 is known to last forever. While the bulk of conversation in here is focused on Toyota's lack of quality and styling - I think the LC is the one truck they produced that actually did both of those things right. It's just unfortunate it cost as much as it did new.
Massively overpriced. Great v-8 but gets trx mpg…. Drivetrain is a glass jaw and anyway you cant mod it with bigger tires that are actually capable because of air suspension. No one seriously wheels toyotas, its more of a larp. Ive been far off grid inthe Amazon and also in Africa in the diesel v8 variant. They are pretty meh on anything beyond dirt roads and “ overlanding”.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried coaxing her into trading it in for a RSQ8 not long ago - the glares I got... Bear in mind I had to convince her to buy the LC when we initially picked it up.
My wife loves her SQ7. The RSQ8 didn’t make sense since we need the extra space plus IMO the sport back is not attractive.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this Raptor R related? What I mean is, is this a Raptor R competitor? It definitely is competitor of a plain Raptor, so was curious why this was not in the general section of Gen 3?
It’s not even a standard Raptor competitor. It’s competes with the F-150 Tremor. And just barely.

Not sure why this was posted in the R section.

GT4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Massively overpriced. Great v-8 but gets trx mpg…. Drivetrain is a glass jaw and anyway you cant mod it with bigger tires that are actually capable because of air suspension. No one seriously wheels toyotas, its more of a larp. Ive been far off grid inthe Amazon and also in Africa in the diesel v8 variant. They are pretty meh on anything beyond dirt roads and “ overlanding”.
The RSQ8? Overpriced - agreed. Drive train is a glass jaw? For off roading, I'm sure, not sure that's what it was designed for though.

The LC? We'll agree to disagree there - there's a reason they still sell these trucks everywhere else in the world and they have the reputation they do. The people in the Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, California, and Washington areas would disagree with you that Toyota's aren't wheeled. There is a massive presence of them being wheeled out there (in conjunction with Jeeps and other platforms). Are Jeeps better at more articulation and more advanced lines? Sure, it's the nature of how the vehicle is built. But the LC is something I'd take anywhere that wasn't trying to scale extremely rocky/uneven terrain. The KDSS system handles most common obstacles fairly easily in the LC.

If you're telling me the LC can't be modded because of it's 'air suspension' then you're proving you don't know much on the platform itself. LCs in the states don't have an air suspension, they never have...

All that said, anything aside from a LC from Toyota is a hard pass for me.

Also, FWIW, our LC gets 15 city / 20 hwy - on par with my Raptor.

Moving on - you'll get no defense of Toyota for their abysmal thing they call a truck in the form of a Tundra TRD Pro. Ever since it was launched I've always grimmaced at the sight of one.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The RSQ8? Overpriced - agreed. Drive train is a glass jaw? For off roading, I'm sure, not sure that's what it was designed for though.

The LC? We'll agree to disagree there - there's a reason they still sell these trucks everywhere else in the world and they have the reputation they do. The people in the Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, California, and Washington areas would disagree with you that Toyota's aren't wheeled. There is a massive presence of them being wheeled out there (in conjunction with Jeeps and other platforms). Are Jeeps better at more articulation and more advanced lines? Sure, it's the nature of how the vehicle is built. But the LC is something I'd take anywhere that wasn't trying to scale extremely rocky/uneven terrain. The KDSS system handles most common obstacles fairly easily in the LC.

If you're telling me the LC can't be modded because of it's 'air suspension' then you're proving you don't know much on the platform itself. LCs in the states don't have an air suspension, they never have...

Moving on - you'll get no defense of Toyota for their abysmal thing they call a truck in the form of a Tundra TRD Pro. Ever since it was launched I've always grimmaced at the sight of one.
LC Prado, LX , GX all have air suspension .

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They actually always kinda sucked and. were never really that good haha. “ oh cool i get to drive a really uninspiring vehicle for 300k miles…”
You are so right! And the Toyota dudes just eat it up. I’m no longer in that group

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Lol ill just leave this here…