Toyota TRD scathing review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really did want to like this truck and for it to be great - for no other reason than to push the segment. Hard fail it seems :/

Desert Dan

Reaction score
I was a Toyota service advisor for a few years back bout 5 years ago while finishing school.

It truly amazed me how horrible they are and people still bought Tundras and Tacomas and 4Runners like they were going out of style. Toyota has been making garbage for awhile but somehow hold onto the name they built in the 80s and 90s. Same for Subaru. Horrible unreliable poorly designed and engineered cars now.
I was a Service Manager at a Toyota store, I had the tow truck drivers number memorized because I gave it out so much!! LOL

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really did want to like this truck and for it to be great - for no other reason than to push the segment. Hard fail it seems :/
Toyota just doesn't get trucks. Probably a cultural thing. They got lucky in the 1980s in that what they had was way better than the competition in the small truck category. But I think they ended up owning that segment by accident, not design. It was a work vehicle for countries with space and money constraints. The farther they get from being a work vehicle, the more they suck. And they've come a long way, baby. :confused:

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like their 4R and Taco TRD Pro lines. But if you're not on a trail with one, they're just like Hondas: No soul.

I see women driving more TRD PROs than anything these days. I guess it's the new Subaru Outback, minus the hemp dress and no makeup

MrB78

Reaction score
I’m a long time Toyota kool aid drinker. 09’ 4Runner SR5/2015 Tundra SR5/18’ Tacoma TRD Pro/22 Tundra Pro. (Please mock me, here). Can confirm the new Tundra looks pretty on the inside but it is far lacking and inferior in many ways to a similarly equipped Tremor, AT4, or ZR2.

For the price point and dealer mark up for a new Tundra Pro (MSRP + $10K MA) I ultimately jumped into my new 22’ Raptor.

The Pro doesn’t have real leather, no tow hooks, pretty ***** approach angle, zero storage in the rear with the hybrid, no 4A, no locker except in 4L, no front diff, and I had all kinds of door rattles and wind noise when driving ~60mph+. Old Toyotas were never tech heavy, but I always felt good owning one and never had any major issues with my old rigs. Couldn’t get rid of the new Tundra fast enough.

And you’re right, Toyota guys lost their minds when I jumped ship for Ford. New Tundra has nothing on the Raptor. Before the Raptor, I was close to buying a 402A Tremor and I felt that truck far surpassed the Tundra Pro. My .02