GEN 2 Offroad Drive Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hwy. Chile

Reaction score
Went to Assateague and ran up to 40 mph in mud mode in Manual shift mode. This seemed to work best for moving through gears high enough to build speed in very soft sand. Was at about 18 psi

Last edited:
Reaction score
Snow Driving

I took the Raptor out to some deep snow today and wanted to share my experience. My experience is very similar to Zane Master X. We were in heavy wet snow, about 2-3 feet. Icy in places and a bit slushy in others.

I tried Mud/Sand Mode. At times mud/sand mode seemed to have too much torque and would cause me to spin out too easily and felt like I was riding a rodeo bull at times! Super fun but maybe not the best when trying to maintain traction and control. It was great at keeping forward momentum and blasting through the deep snow.

Weather mode in 4H and rear diff locked worked well to maintain traction. The truck drove like a tank and my traction was incredible. The weather mode really tames down the torque and acceleration response and helps prevent wheel spin. However, when I would really get on the gas the power would cut out if you started getting sideways. That was both good and bad, it kept me from going off the road a couple of times but also almost got me stuck as I lost my momentum.

One thing I didn't try but will next time is weather mode, 4H, rear diff locked, and TSC off.

I agree with ZaneMasterX:
- use weather mode in icy conditions and light snow.
- In heavy deep snow weather mode, 4H, and rear diff locked worked great to maintain traction and control, but if you are in a situation where you need to maintain momentum use with caution or the TSC will cut your power.
- Mud/Sand mode works great in deep snow but the extra power and torque can make the truck get away from you a bit and tends to cause more wheel spin, so you just really have to pay attention.

Overall I was really impressed with how the Raptor performed in the snow, it was AWESOME.

What have other people used in deep snow?

NV997tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny mine was auto in snow/weather. I got to an open space and only tried Baja in about 6-8 in of snow with icy bottom. That was a blast. No other modes seemed necessary after that.

ra_jamesd

Reaction score
- Mud/Sand mode works great in deep snow but the extra power and torque can make the truck get away from you a bit and tends to cause more wheel spin, so you just really have to pay attention.

We were told in the Raptor Assault class that Mud/Sand mode intentionally allowed for more wheel spin to maintain momentum. You don’t want traction control shutting you down in those situations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We were told in the Raptor Assault class that Mud/Sand mode intentionally allowed for more wheel spin to maintain momentum. You don’t want traction control shutting you down in those situations.

That makes sense once you are moving. I had some trouble when I was stopped and trying to get moving or trying to get unstuck. That's when the wheel spin was burying me. But when I was moving there was a real difference between the modes! I had the power totally cut out on me a few times in weather mode, but didn't have it in mud/sand mode as you said. I think there are times for both modes for sure. I never tried 4-low, maybe that would cut down the wheel spin when you are stuck or getting deep rather than using weather mode. I have to get back out there and do some more experimenting!

bp299

Reaction score
Great info here.

How about a summary post sticky for all modes/combos on page 1 as a quick reference spot?

18raptorCO

Reaction score
I've tried searching for this answer but haven't found it. Is there any way to prevent the drive mode from resetting when you restart the truck? Out on trails this is pretty annoying when you regularly stop for 10-30 min. Also is there a way to prevent the auto diff lock engagement in modes like mud/sand? From a software stand point all this stuff could be easily customizable...

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've tried searching for this answer but haven't found it. Is there any way to prevent the drive mode from resetting when you restart the truck? Out on trails this is pretty annoying when you regularly stop for 10-30 min. Also is there a way to prevent the auto diff lock engagement in modes like mud/sand? From a software stand point all this stuff could be easily customizable...

Nope most of it is safety based...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk