Front Drive Shaft question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

venomblue22

Reaction score
I am currently in Colorado on vacation with my 18 raptor. coming thru the mountains the front diff started pissing fluid out the driver side all under the truck. I stopped got some 75w 85 and topped it off it was fine for a while then coming back from glenwood it happened again. (in 2wd) can i disconnected/remove the frt drive shaft for my ride back to chicago without any adverse effects to keep that front diff from spinning all the way home to chicago to avoid losing all the fluid? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, you can safely remove it and drive. Be sure to index mark the driveshaft on both ends to keep it in balance. You will also need to replace all of the bolts; they are one time use only.

cmacmustang

Reaction score
Unless you are in a 4WD mode the front driveshaft does not turn. the front axles are disconnected at the outer joint to hub interface. If the front driveline is turning while the vehicle is in motion in a 2WD mode you may have a vacunm leak to the IWEs

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless you are in a 4WD mode the front driveshaft does not turn. the front axles are disconnected at the outer joint to hub interface. If the front driveline is turning while the vehicle is in motion in a 2WD mode you may have a vacunm leak to the IWEs
Not true on TOD transfer cases. The drag from the wet clutch turns the front driveshaft in 2WD, but at a lesser speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter