Lets answer the question Which suspension upgrade is right for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have those Gen 1 Raptors with Gen 2 front suspensions (and increased uptravel) needed different fenders to keep the tires from crashing into them? I'm a long way from finishing mine, but it would be great to know if I need aftermarket glass with more bump to clear. I'm sticking with 35's, but Methods will push them out another inch.
Nope. We did a gen 2 mid travel kit on a gen 1 that needed fenders but thats any mid travel kit.

Oem shocks/travel, we had no issues

Morgan915

Reaction score
That's a cycling test I did with Methods/35's with the coilover removed. Another inch and a half uptravel is sketchy.
I'll be honest, being on midperch with factory 2.5s, I've stuffed the front end once or twice. A few times it ripped the plastic push pins off that hold the fender lip on. If you push your vehicle hard, another inch and a half of up travel you might want new glass.

thirstyforgas

Reaction score
what’s the consensus of running a combination of top hat front with eibach or geiser rear springs?

It seems like the SDI top hats provide the benefit of added durability that springs will not. I’ve read that springs up front actually create some issues with increased wear on the stock mounts. I’m hoping to eventually go to Baja and don’t want to create a higher risk of failure on the stock mount, but I’d like a small bit of lift. I have a retrax bed cover that has dropped the rear to level, so I’d like to give it a little lift too.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
what’s the consensus of running a combination of top hat front with eibach or geiser rear springs?

It seems like the SDI top hats provide the benefit of added durability that springs will not. I’ve read that springs up front actually create some issues with increased wear on the stock mounts. I’m hoping to eventually go to Baja and don’t want to create a higher risk of failure on the stock mount, but I’d like a small bit of lift. I have a retrax bed cover that has dropped the rear to level, so I’d like to give it a little lift too.
Ive seen quite a few people do it, and for certain people i recommend it even.

The top hat is a “safety measure”. I mean..i have my own personal opinions about the scare tactics being used to have people do top hats/avoid springs. In general though, theres 13 known trucks its happened to, all 13 have been in baja, 12 of the 13 have been with a singular group, and 11 have been Geisers. I think proper preventative maintenance and driving within limits couldve possibly assisted/avoided it. But even still, 13 trucks out of 5000+ on springs is .0026%. Not exactly worth worrying over. But ill happily get a top hat/limit straps to anyone who asks.

Top hats paired with a geiser/eibach rear is suuuuper common. I personally think springs in the back is the way to go because the OEMs are too squishy and dont handle weight well at all. The issue lies in top hats paired with either spring will cause a decent rake unless you have stuff in the bed a lot. Its a really good idea if you run a chase rack or camper.

Id be happy to help answer any other questions

thirstyforgas

Reaction score
Ive seen quite a few people do it, and for certain people i recommend it even.

The top hat is a “safety measure”. I mean..i have my own personal opinions about the scare tactics being used to have people do top hats/avoid springs. In general though, theres 13 known trucks its happened to, all 13 have been in baja, 12 of the 13 have been with a singular group, and 11 have been Geisers. I think proper preventative maintenance and driving within limits couldve possibly assisted/avoided it. But even still, 13 trucks out of 5000+ on springs is .0026%. Not exactly worth worrying over. But ill happily get a top hat/limit straps to anyone who asks.

Top hats paired with a geiser/eibach rear is suuuuper common. I personally think springs in the back is the way to go because the OEMs are too squishy and dont handle weight well at all. The issue lies in top hats paired with either spring will cause a decent rake unless you have stuff in the bed a lot. Its a really good idea if you run a chase rack or camper.

Id be happy to help answer any other questions
I probably won’t have enough weight in the bed to need additional rake. I did a bit more research and it looks like I can add an RPG billet top hat that doesn’t add any lift and still do eibach or geiser springs.

I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do. I wish there was an FRS with small lift made specifically for my 3rd gen. I can only find 2nd gen frs. I want to keep live valves and as close to stock as possible.

I’ll probably do eibach since I like the plush stock ride. I’ve heard they are the softer spring compared to geiser. I’m sort of nervous to change anything because I absolutely love the way the truck drives stock and it’s hard to imagine anything would be better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I probably won’t have enough weight in the bed to need additional rake. I did a bit more research and it looks like I can add an RPG billet top hat that doesn’t add any lift and still do eibach or geiser springs.

I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do. I wish there was an FRS with small lift made specifically for my 3rd gen. I can only find 2nd gen frs. I want to keep live valves and as close to stock as possible.

I’ll probably do eibach since I like the plush stock ride. I’ve heard they are the softer spring compared to geiser. I’m sort of nervous to change anything because I absolutely love the way the truck drives stock and it’s hard to imagine anything would be better.
11691AA9-C164-4DEC-8CB8-9E5419DCEAC3.jpeg

You can put the 19-20 live valve FRS on a gen 3 as myself and numerous others have as well with no issues. Maintains live valve and all.

Another option is indeed the eibachs with RPG collars which ive been meaning to add the RPG collars in the initial write up as well. Theyre just a new product so I have minimal hands on with em.

Im a dealer for everything and give forum discounts, shoot me a DM id be happy to help you out with pricing!

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 448532

You can put the 19-20 live valve FRS on a gen 3 as myself and numerous others have as well with no issues. Maintains live valve and all.

Another option is indeed the eibachs with RPG collars which ive been meaning to add the RPG collars in the initial write up as well. Theyre just a new product so I have minimal hands on with em.

Im a dealer for everything and give forum discounts, shoot me a DM id be happy to help you out with pricing!
Loving the truck and picture!
I am just curious what exact setup you are running on the truck front and rear beside the FRS?

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Loving the truck and picture!
I am just curious what exact setup you are running on the truck front and rear beside the FRS?
I was in a turn so it looks like I was higher than I actually sit.

FRS, full bypass suspension up front

16” rear coilover kit in the rear

How it sits day to day:

IMG_1737.jpeg

thirstyforgas

Reaction score
View attachment 448532

I’m liking your suggestion for frs. I really thought they were only for gen 2. Looks like they are interchangeable and can be adjusted for lift. I’ll have to decide what I do with the rear lift if I go frs front. Still doing some research and might reach out for clarification once I’m a little more knowledgeable.