GEN 2 Offroad Drive Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18raptorCO

Reaction score
Nope most of it is safety based...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can make a good case for safety on either side of resetting the drive mode. I'm not sure there is a good safety argument for whether or not the diff lock is automatically engaged. But, if there is no way to make any changes, then there is no reason to discuss further. Thanks for verifying!

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can make a good case for safety on either side of resetting the drive mode. I'm not sure there is a good safety argument for whether or not the diff lock is automatically engaged. But, if there is no way to make any changes, then there is no reason to discuss further. Thanks for verifying!

the instructors particularly identified a scenario where you didn't want to be 'the guy' that kept the locker on when going on the highway, or stuck in Mud/Sand (4L) mode especially LOL

the whole convoy had to pull over so the guy could shift back into a mode that would actually work on the highway

:roflbow:

18raptorCO

Reaction score
the instructors particularly identified a scenario where you didn't want to be 'the guy' that kept the locker on when going on the highway, or stuck in Mud/Sand (4L) mode especially LOL

the whole convoy had to pull over so the guy could shift back into a mode that would actually work on the highway

:roflbow:

Turning the truck off doesn't change the transfer case, you'd still be in 4H (mud/sand mode uses 4H not 4L). I was specifically referring to NOT engaging the diff lock when you change into mud/sand mode. Ill give baja and sport/4H some more trial on lower speed dirt/trails.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the consensus for what configuration to be in for heavy/deep water (i.e. crossing a river)?

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a total noob when it comes to most of these drive modes. Is there a speed limit to these modes to avoid damage?
What mode would you use on a highway in heavy rain or snow? I have to drive my truck back from Missouri in December and I just want to be prepared. Thank you.

EMPAC623

Full Access Member
Reaction score

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a total noob when it comes to most of these drive modes. Is there a speed limit to these modes to avoid damage?
What mode would you use on a highway in heavy rain or snow? I have to drive my truck back from Missouri in December and I just want to be prepared. Thank you.

The manual and raptor supplement detail the modes quite well. The main thing you should note is that they are well calibrated, and you should trust them to do what they were designed to do.

Normal, Sport, and Weather for the road, the rest for off road.

To answer your question directly, in heavy rain/snow I use weather mode. Light rain I just stay in normal but kick it in to 4A. Make sure you stay off the gas whenever the tcase is shifting.

Last edited:

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found this out....whenever in Sport Mode shift manually on the street or the dirt...you can tame it right down and no ill effects....