GEN 2 Offroad Drive Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had something similar like this for the G1 and this thread should be a good reference point for guys looking to optimize how to setup their trucks. We're talking Drive Modes, Traction Control, Diff Lock, and 2H 4A 4H 4L settings.

Sound off with the type of OFFROAD terrain you're running, what setups you've tried and what you like or dislike.

Okay I'll start...

Spent the day with the @svc crew out in Barstow, CA product testing the CAS system and a 4 link build they're buttoning up. PSA: Don't ever take your stock or stockish truck out when they have one of those builds out there. You will go from midnight to six, real quick.

If you're not familiar with Barstow, it's one of the rougher parts of the desert we have here in Southern CA. It's mostly a racecourse and serves as testing grounds for many local race teams. We were along side over a dozen trophy trucks, class 1 buggies and other classes of race cars as they were out testing for next weeks Mint 400.

e8eff94afcbc378929258ae89d61cbe5.jpg

So going into the day I figured Baja Mode was going to make me a Mint 400 competitor because that's what Ford told us, right? Well in my case it wasn't the holy grail.

We are up against a bit of a battle as most know we are completely unable to lock the rear diff in 2H mode. This was and always will be a preferred setup in the dirt but we are going to have to work around it.

Here were my drive mode setups throughout the day from start to finish:

_________

Baja Mode
Advance Trac Off (Even though Trac control is disabled in BM, you can hold down the Trac button until the dash gauge displays Advanced Trac Disabled)
4H
Tried 2H but it disabled the diff lock so back to 4H I went.

BM was extremely sluggish for me but I attributed it to the fact that I was going through some sizable whoop sections and was constantly checking up to keep the truck from getting in over its head. Figured once I got into some high speed running in washes and service roads, BM would come to life. Nope. There were times where I would stand on the throttle for a good 3 seconds before any power distribution made its way to the wheels. Steering feedback isn't tight at all which probably is intended to keep drivers from over correcting. Enough of that.

_______

Sport Mode
Advance Trac Disabled
4A
Rear Diff locked

I finally felt like I got my truck back in this mode and found myself with instant throttle response. Not sure what more I can elaborate on with this setup other than the truck has a set of balls.

One thing I wish I would've done is toggle the dash display to show power distribution to the front tires in 4A versus 4H. Driving feedback alone, I felt as though more power was getting to the back tires in 4A as this was preferable for me since 2H is not an option.

So sound off peeps and let's figure out how we can get the diff locked in 2H!

Gen 2's can fly incase you were wondering :burnout:

1d8354be90bae69c5958ba510b038470.jpg

4605e8148c4ae3923dc08d438387381c.jpg

max_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love it when I see someone actually driving their truck that way

Regarding Baja Mode and the throttle response, do you think a pedal commander would have you change your mind?

Can you have your steering in sport while in Baja Mode?

OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Regarding Baja Mode and the throttle response, do you think a pedal commander would have you change your mind?

Pedal commander from @svc will be on tomorrow so I'll report back on that but yeah I hope that'll help. I like the turbo spool in BM when it's actually there was was just MIA waaay too many times.

I was thinking about being able to toggle the steering input through the modes last night. About to make a Starbucks run so I'll give it a shot and report back shortly.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Thanks black. Yeah, was from a drone and so glad it came out because we missed the shot from ground photog. I didn't want to hit that jump again at that speed (70) because it's kinda sketchy!

Jump with 37's and no fender damage? How's the front skid plate? Still look like a Ford commercial?

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the slower throttle response in Baja on the Gen2 is like what ORM on the Gen1 was like. The pedal commander should help a lot. A workaround for the locker is needed for sure I wonder what the philosophy Ford has in not letting you have the diff locked in 2h?

Tizz truck looks good in action, how do you like the tires?

OP
OP
Raptizzle

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jump with 37's and no fender damage? How's the front skid plate? Still look like a Ford commercial?

Well the landing on that drone huck was a little harsher than I had expected so the drivers side front fender is in need of realignment. The ovaled out mounting points allow for some shifting so it's a 10 minute fix tops. Now a big 37 like a Toyo would've cracked the fender for sure.

Skid got battle scars from the whoop sections but not the jump.

Starbucks run complete and yes, you can toggle through steering inputs regardless of what drive mode you're in.

Maybe the slower throttle response in Baja on the Gen2 is like what ORM on the Gen1 was like. The pedal commander should help a lot. A workaround for the locker is needed for sure I wonder what the philosophy Ford has in not letting you have the diff locked in 2h?

Tizz truck looks good in action, how do you like the tires?

It did feel a lot like ORM. Tires are great. Always loved running the K02's. Great do it all tire and chunk the least out of any other tire I've run. Well except projects.

Didn't try it but hopefully someone will and report back in this thread.