Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
take it to discount tire and have them do it for free.

Please be careful at tire shops, or, well ... any place that takes the wheels off / on. We just had a user post up their tale of woe with broken studs, and that’s almost always due to overtorquing, almost always by the mis-use of an air impact gun to torque the lug nuts on the wheel. A lot of these joints use the same gun to put the wheel on as they do take it off. Mine is good for 400 foot pounds, and it’s just a middle of the road unit.

Watch these folks and make sure they understand what to do and not do. On an old Mustang I had I would tell shop ‘hand tools only, no impact wrench, non negotiable’. I did actually catch one cheating and stopped them.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please be careful at tire shops, or, well ... any place that takes the wheels off / on. We just had a user post up their tale of woe with broken studs, and that’s almost always due to overtorquing, almost always by the mis-use of an air impact gun to torque the lug nuts on the wheel. A lot of these joints use the same gun to put the wheel on as they do take it off. Mine is good for 400 foot pounds, and it’s just a middle of the road unit.

Watch these folks and make sure they understand what to do and not do. On an old Mustang I had I would tell shop ‘hand tools only, no impact wrench, non negotiable’. I did actually catch one cheating and stopped them.

never seen or heard of a broken stud. ever

probably been to discount tire 50 times in the last 20 years. new tires, getting punctures fixed, etc. never an issue.

If you are that paranoid. retorque the nuts yourself.

no impact wrench? are you the dude that makes the painter use a brush for the whole house because you don't believe in sprayers?

hahaha

smurfslayer

Reaction score
never seen or heard of a broken stud. ever

probably been to discount tire 50 times in the last 20 years. new tires, getting punctures fixed, etc. never an issue.

If you are that paranoid. retorque the nuts yourself.

no impact wrench? are you the dude that makes the painter use a brush for the whole house because you don't believe in sprayers?

hahaha

Rusty/Broken Wheel Studs?

Broken Lug Nut...Damn it!

Yeah, i could retorque the lug nuts, but once the tire monkey impact wrenches the lugs on, the damage is done. If you’re lucky, only the lug nut snaps. well... if we’re lucky, you don’t need luck.
:)

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rusty/Broken Wheel Studs?

Broken Lug Nut...Damn it!

Yeah, i could retorque the lug nuts, but once the tire monkey impact wrenches the lugs on, the damage is done. If you’re lucky, only the lug nut snaps. well... if we’re lucky, you don’t need luck.
:)

dude. ever had someone snap your lug nut off? yeah me neither.

my guess is the guy at discount tire has taken on/off more lug nuts than you or I ever will in our lifetime, combined.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
dude. ever had someone snap your lug nut off? yeah me neither.

my guess is the guy at discount tire has taken on/off more lug nuts than you or I ever will in our lifetime, combined.

I did have a stud ruined by an impact wrench, the knucklehead didn’t snap it off, but he stripped the lug nut and couldn’t get it off (easily). I’ve also had a shop not fully torque the lugs, and in about 3 miles it was enough to shag the rotor and 3 out of 5 studs.

what’s your point? That it doesn’t happen? Or that it doesn’t happen to you ( and since it doesn’t happen to you, it can’t possibly happen to someone else ) ?