Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have a stud ruined by an impact wrench, the knucklehead didn’t snap it off, but he stripped the lug nut and couldn’t get it off (easily). I’ve also had a shop not fully torque the lugs, and in about 3 miles it was enough to shag the rotor and 3 out of 5 studs.

what’s your point? That it doesn’t happen? Or that it doesn’t happen to you ( and since it doesn’t happen to you, it can’t possibly happen to someone else ) ?

my point is that it's so ******* rare that you may want to put effort into thinking about something else.

And...........who gives a shit? the stud can be replaced.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude. ever had someone snap your lug nut off? yeah me neither.

my guess is the guy at discount tire has taken on/off more lug nuts than you or I ever will in our lifetime, combined.

read it better. it's in there pretty clear

Sir, I'm guessing you didn't actually click on the link provided and read through the thread that you are questioning. Go look at the pics and read the thread and then see if you still think it doesn't happen. One of those threads is mine, btw, and it most definitely did happen. Most of those guys doing the installation are kids and they are trying to do a good job, but mistakes are sometimes made.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my point is that it's so ******* rare that you may want to put effort into thinking about something else.

And...........who gives a shit? the stud can be replaced.

Do you always act like a ******** to people for no reason? I love the whole, "It never happened to me, therefore it has never happened and it's impossible that it ever could happen" thought process.

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you always act like a ******** to people for no reason? I love the whole, "It never happened to me, therefore it has never happened and it's impossible that it ever could happen" thought process.

Compensating for something. Nothing constructive. Think you hit the nail on the head... missing the “thought process”; Yep, that’s it.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude. ever had someone snap your lug nut off? yeah me neither.

my guess is the guy at discount tire has taken on/off more lug nuts than you or I ever will in our lifetime, combined.

One of my lug nuts is slightly rounded around the corners after only 1 installation.

Over torqueing anything will damage it.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought these, about $2000 for jacks, extenders and truck adapter kit.

Would totally jump on that if I had a big enough shop/garage. My "shop" is a twin-bay, 22' x 22' two car garage that also doubles as my woodworking shop. Simply no room for a lift.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight Daytona, 3-ton, long reach, low profile jack all day, every day!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...sional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64781.html

You can pay more, but you won't get more.
Check out the lift height on this thing!
Lift height" 3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in

I kick myself for putting off getting one of these for so long. This thing has no trouble lifting our droopy, long travel suspension high enough to clear the tires from the ground without using shoring or otherwise unsafe stacking blocks.

I also have a couple sets of jack stands; also from Harbor Freight:
6-ton stands for lower lift support
12-ton stands for higher lift support (these things are massive!)

Obviously, I have zero need for 12-ton weight support. I use the 12-ton stands for the very wide base and increased stability.

I am certainly not a Harbor Freight homer. But they are good for some things...like jacks and jack stands.

Last edited:

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my lug nuts is slightly rounded around the corners after only 1 installation.

Over torquing anything will damage it.

My family is a 3rd gen tire store owner. I worked there much of my teenage years and have pretty much stayed engaged in the business all my life.

I absolutely NEVER install lug-nuts without final torquing to OEM specs. To do otherwise is foolish and reckless.

Last edited:

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been lifting my 2010 since new using a 3 ton floor jack and a 6” thick wood block....jack up on frame rail leaving enough room to place 6 ton jack stand on frame rail but forward of jack, repeat on other side, move to rear diff, jack up high enough to get rear tires up while keeping front tires up, then place 2 jack stands on each side of rear axle and let truck down so it rests on all 4 stands. Then, most importantly, go to each corner of truck and gently push to ensure truck is stable, rather have it fall now then with you under it. Never had a problem, but if you're unsure, don’t do it!

I did something like that for decades as well...until the block was spit out at near max height several years ago. Would have been a bad day had I been under there putting in the jack stands. I continued to use blocks until I got my Daytona High Reach from HF, but just have to be extremely careful.

Last edited: