Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty new to all these fun mods and have jumped all in. Already did the ATAK mid pipes but woulda been much easier had I elevated the beast but wasn’t comfortable doing it safely. Enough snickers...yeah, I’m a newbie at all this.

So what is the best way to put rear 1/2, front 1/2 and full truck up on stands? My next project is going to be painting brake calipers with G2. I ordered 2 sets with the idea that I could do front, then do back at different times and I wouldn’t have to buy so many jack stands. Don’t know if this was dumb or not but the good stands get pretty spendy. Want to buy 2 decent ones but not spend a mint. Have a decent floor jack (though need to check and make sure it goes up sufficiently high).

Where is best to place floor jack for rear (diff?)? Jack Stands once tires are up in rear?
Where is best to place floor jack for front? Jack Stands for front?

Thanks and sorry for my inexperience. Any recommendations on equipment would also be appreciated as to how much weight per stand I need, etc.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I use semi-truck 12 ton tall jackstands. I waited until jeg's had them on sale for $180. They are the only way, short of a lift, to get my truck ( 40s and midtravel) off the ground completely.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what height hydraulic floor lift to get the tires off the ground?

20" enough?

And how would you go about it?

Parking break engaged.
Chock in front of front tires

lift rear - set jack stands
then lift front?

I'll need to clean between those damn squeaking leaf springs and spray some teflon spray on them soon

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been lifting my 2010 since new using a 3 ton floor jack and a 6” thick wood block....jack up on frame rail leaving enough room to place 6 ton jack stand on frame rail but forward of jack, repeat on other side, move to rear diff, jack up high enough to get rear tires up while keeping front tires up, then place 2 jack stands on each side of rear axle and let truck down so it rests on all 4 stands. Then, most importantly, go to each corner of truck and gently push to ensure truck is stable, rather have it fall now then with you under it. Never had a problem, but if you're unsure, don’t do it!

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's insane and a ridiculous waste of money. Just buy four 12ton jackstands from Harbor Freight for $80.
The 12t ones are $109 for a set of two, before the 20% coupon, so like $180 for four.

You can get four of the 6t ones for $80, if you buy them in two trips. I’ve been trying to buy the 12t ones for a couple weeks, but my store hasn’t had any (recently switched design and haven’t gotten any of the new one yet).

I’m coming up on my first tire rotation, and thought I’d need them. I had a set of the 6t ones for my tractor, but I was worried about the max height. Doing the math on suspension travel, ground clearance, and that the jack points on the frame weren’t the lowest spot, said they probably wouldn’t work.

I tried it today, and the 3t Snap-On copy jack you mentioned (23 1/8” lift) and the 6t stands (23 5-8”), put to the frame, do get the front off the ground high enough to swap wheels, with almost 2” extra travel to spare.

That jack is a beast, and is on sale for $177 this weekend- that’s a crazy good price, for anyone looking for a capable jack.

3E08118E-F712-4D0C-B0F7-432D89F83B57.jpeg

8BFA05A4-6FEF-4AE4-84BD-52CDE4CCF27F.jpeg