Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what height hydraulic floor lift to get the tires off the ground?

20" enough?

And how would you go about it?

Parking break engaged.
Chock in front of front tires

lift rear - set jack stands
then lift front?

I'll need to clean between those damn squeaking leaf springs and spray some teflon spray on them soon

The geometry changes as you jack, so something has got to move...jack, vehicle or both. Best to jack only on hard, level ground, with vehicle in park or lowest gear. Use a jack with wheels (floor jack) vice bottle jack. Chock whatever wheel remain on the ground AFTER jacking and installing jack stand.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight Daytona, 3-ton, long reach, low profile jack all day, every day!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...sional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64781.html

You can pay more, but you won't get more.
Check out the lift height on this thing!
Lift height" 3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in

I kick myself for putting off getting one of these for so long. This thing has no trouble lifting our droopy, long travel suspension high enough to clear the tires from the ground without using shoring or otherwise unsafe stacking blocks.

I also have a couple sets of jack stands; also from Harbor Freight:
6-ton stands to lower lift support
12-ton stands for higher lift support

Obviously, I have zero need for 12-ton weight support. I use the 12-ton stands for the very wide base and increased stability.

I am certainly not a Harbor Freight homer. But they are good for some things...like jacks and jack stands.

I bought the bright yellow model for $10 more and it's almost the same as the one you have. I love it and it's soooo much better than the little jack with blocks I used before.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The geometry changes as you jack, so something has got to move...jack, vehicle or both. Best to jack only on hard, level ground, with vehicle in park or lowest gear. Use a jack with wheels (floor jack) vice bottle jack. Chock whatever wheel remain on the ground AFTER jacking and installing jack stand.

I should also add... if using a bottle or fixed-base jack, you'll have to periodically stabilize the load with jack stands during the lift and re-position the bottle jack multiple times during the lift--depending on how high you need to go.

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight Daytona, 3-ton, long reach, low profile jack all day, every day!

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...sional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-black-64781.html

You can pay more, but you won't get more.
Check out the lift height on this thing!
Lift height" 3-1/4 in. to 24-1/4 in

I kick myself for putting off getting one of these for so long. This thing has no trouble lifting our droopy, long travel suspension high enough to clear the tires from the ground without using shoring or otherwise unsafe stacking blocks.

I also have a couple sets of jack stands; also from Harbor Freight:
6-ton stands for lower lift support
12-ton stands for higher lift support (these things are massive!)

Obviously, I have zero need for 12-ton weight support. I use the 12-ton stands for the very wide base and increased stability.

I am certainly not a Harbor Freight homer. But they are good for some things...like jacks and jack stands.

I picked up the Yellow HF one that’s usually 10 bucks more but was on sale this past week for about $177. Thought it was the highest lift. Missed the one you listed above..Haven’t used it yet...Hopefully the one inch difference wont be a big deal as the one I got is 23 1/8” lift.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Yellow HF one that’s usually 10 bucks more but was on sale this past week for about $177. Thought it was the highest lift. Missed the one you listed above..Haven’t used it yet...Hopefully the one inch difference wont be a big deal as the one I got is 23 1/8” lift.

You'll be fine. I have the same jack you bought and you got a better deal. For info, i checked the elevation on jack stands for the front lift point (under the frame) and I was at 19". This jack will give you the lift you need.

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. I have the same jack you bought and you got a better deal. For info, i checked the elevation on jack stands for the front lift point (under the frame) and I was at 19". This jack will give you the lift you need.

Thanks! Puts my mind at ease. Appreciate it.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got a Daytona at HF this past weekend also. I was shocked how the corona virus killed their sale for the most part. There were only 12 people there mid day on Sunday. Normally there would be more like 200.

Based on your previous post where you shocked us all with your real life picture, I think you might be in the high risk category for COVID-19. You might want to shelter in place for the next few weeks and skip the HF sales. ;):rolleyes:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could probably throw a hockey puck or a block of wood on the HF jack and get another inch or so out of it.

I have the 3 ton HF jack. I use a 2x6 cut about 6 inches long to get the front up. The rear I just put the jack on the axle as close to the shock as possible. takes me about 10 mins to rotate all 5 tires.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on your previous post where you shocked us all with your real life picture, I think you might be in the high risk category for COVID-19. You might want to shelter in place for the next few weeks and skip the HF sales. ;):rolleyes:

I'm good, when I go out I just put a plastic bag over my head to keep me safe. :D