Jack Stands - safe way to jack the beast up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty new to all these fun mods and have jumped all in. Already did the ATAK mid pipes but woulda been much easier had I elevated the beast but wasn’t comfortable doing it safely. Enough snickers...yeah, I’m a newbie at all this.

So what is the best way to put rear 1/2, front 1/2 and full truck up on stands? My next project is going to be painting brake calipers with G2. I ordered 2 sets with the idea that I could do front, then do back at different times and I wouldn’t have to buy so many jack stands. Don’t know if this was dumb or not but the good stands get pretty spendy. Want to buy 2 decent ones but not spend a mint. Have a decent floor jack (though need to check and make sure it goes up sufficiently high).

Where is best to place floor jack for rear (diff?)? Jack Stands once tires are up in rear?
Where is best to place floor jack for front? Jack Stands for front?

Thanks and sorry for my inexperience. Any recommendations on equipment would also be appreciated as to how much weight per stand I need, etc.

should only be sorry for not reading the owners manual first

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should only be sorry for not reading the owners manual first
I would normally agree with you, except in this case, the owners manual doesn't provide everything Trouttrad is asking about. For example, the manual for my '19 and '17 both show an illustration indicating not to put the scissor jack under the diff. No where does it specifically state to not lift the truck by the rear diff. Over the years I've searched high and low for factual information as to the reason one shouldn't lift a vehicle by the diff... still haven't found anything. In fact, I see real bonafide mechanics lift vehicles by the diff all time... heck, if they can do it, so can I. (A little bit of tongue and cheek there.)

Anyway... it's asking questions like this in which allows collaboration about a subject - which is what keeps these forums alive.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the same block of wood on my jack since 2012 to rotate my tires. Maybe one day I will get a more appropriate jack. 283F9C79-ABF9-440E-8928-9A183B0F7BF4.jpeg

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would normally agree with you, except in this case, the owners manual doesn't provide everything Trouttrad is asking about. For example, the manual for my '19 and '17 both show an illustration indicating not to put the scissor jack under the diff. No where does it specifically state to not lift the truck by the rear diff. Over the years I've searched high and low for factual information as to the reason one shouldn't lift a vehicle by the diff... still haven't found anything. In fact, I see real bonafide mechanics lift vehicles by the diff all time... heck, if they can do it, so can I. (A little bit of tongue and cheek there.)

Anyway... it's asking questions like this in which allows collaboration about a subject - which is what keeps these forums alive.

my manual reads pretty clearly

take it to discount tire and have them do it for free.